If you hold membership with the RACQ that falls under any of the following categories, you are eligible to receive assistance should you break down:
For a comparison of the benefits and differences between each of these membership options, visit the compare membership section. You can also look at each of the individual product pages to confirm the benefits and entitlements available under each option.
Does it matter what car I’m driving when I need assistance?
For each of the membership options listed above, you will be required to nominate a vehicle – providing the registration, year, make and model of the vehicle so that it can be identified should you need help. This vehicle can be either a car or a motorcycle. Please note that motorcycles requiring assistance may experience delays in some country areas depending on equipment available.
If you – or any other driver, like a friend or family member - breaks down while driving the vehicle nominated on your RACQ membership, the RACQ will be able to attend and provide assistance. Membership must be current at the time that service is requested.
If you hold Ultra Care or RACQ Ultimate, you will also receive personal roadside assistance. This means that you, as the Ultra Care or RACQ Ultimate member, can receive roadside assistance in any vehicle - even if it’s not the vehicle nominated on your membership - following a breakdown.
What problems can RACQ help with?
If your vehicle won’t start, won’t go or stops due to a mechanical or electrical problem, you can call us for help on 13 1111, Australia-wide, 24 hours everyday.
We can help you in the following situations:
- Mechanical / electrical breakdown: In the event of a flat battery, a ‘jump start’ may be provided and when required a replacement battery can be made available at the drivers cost.
- Towing: If your vehicle cannot be made mobile, free towing is provided up to your service limits.
- Emergency fuel: When your vehicle accidentally runs out of fuel, RACQ can deliver enough unleaded or diesel fuel to get you to a fuel supplier (usually 10 litres) free up to you service limits. The fuel is provided at the driver’s cost unless you have purchased an upgrade to the Plus Care, Ultra Care or RACQ Ultimate options, in which case fuel will be supplied within the respective entitlements.
- Lockout: Free attendance to open your vehicle when the keys are locked inside. In the event of lost keys or damaged locks, RACQ can arrange for a locksmith at the driver’s expense, unless you have purchased upgrades to the Plus Care, Ultra Care or RACQ Ultimate options.
- Wheel changing: Free attendance to replace a faulty tyre/wheel with your vehicles roadworthy spare.
- Bogged vehicle: Free attendance to recover your vehicle, where it can be accessed, without leaving a constructed road/driveway. Please note that size and weight limits may apply for free service – please contact us on 13 1905 to see if your vehicle is within the allowable dimensions for free assistance.
- Caravan & trailer assistance: Mechanical / electrical breakdown, wheel changing and towing are included under the Roadside membership option. Plus Care, Ultra Care and RACQ Ultimate membership upgrades provide additional assistance in the event of a breakdown involving your caravan or trailer. For full details, visit the comparison section of our website.
What problems won’t RACQ help with?
Your RACQ free service does not include any of the following:
- Provision of roadside assistance within 24 hours of application to join the Club, unless waived by payment of an an appropriate fee.
- Attendance and / or towing following damage of any type, including fire or theft
- Removal of glass or towing associated with a broken windscreen
- Attendance by a patrol or tow truck where the vehicle is at a place of repair
- Service or towing of unregistered vehicles
- Responsibility for the supply of spare parts or tyres
- Maintenance repairs or general repairs
- Work on a vehicle in the event of lost keys or unserviceable or damaged steering locks
- Transport of passengers before the safe carrying capacity of the road service towing vehicle
- Temporary repairs to steering, brakes or other related safety components
- Any additional tows or service attendance in connection with a single breakdown
- Bogging recovery not within reasonable reach of the road or driveway, or where special equipment and / or procedures is required
- Wheel changing where the weight of the wheel and tyre assembly is beyond the safe lifting capacity of a single person.
- Tyre or wheel changing will not be provided for any motor bikes or scooters.
Provision of Roadside Assistance
RACQ will provide roadside assistance on an island where it or an RACQ contractor is able to provide service on that island. For a list of current islands please contact RACQ on 13 19 05.
RACQ will provide roadside assistance to the following locations within mainland Queensland where the following rivers need to be crossed:
In providing roadside assistance to you, RACQ or its contractors may need to travel by ferry, barge or boat to reach the breakdown site and, if towing is required, to return your vehicle to your end destination (e.g. mainland Queensland or another location in Queensland only accessible by ferry or boat). These costs are payable by the member, including any costs incurred by RACQ or its contractors to access the breakdown location.
If towing is needed to transport your vehicle and / or caravan to mainland Queensland or another location in Queensland only accessible by ferry or boat, you are responsible for any ferry, boat or other transportations costs for the tow vehicle and your vehicle and / or caravan requiring towing.
Where known, costs that may be payable by the member following assistance to areas that require a ferry or boat for RACQ or its contractors to access the breakdown location will be discussed with the member at the point of requesting assistance.
If a member breaks down in a location or on an island where RACQ and its contractors are unable to provided assistance RACQ may be able to refer the member to local service providers for assistance.
RACQ’s Contractor attends a member who has a broken down vehicle on Stradbroke Island. At the breakdown site, the RACQ Contractor is unable to get the member’s vehicle mobile and the vehicle must be towed from Stradbroke Island to mainland Queensland. To return the member’s vehicle to mainland Queensland the RACQ Contractor travels by ferry. The fee to use the ferry is $400.00 (inc GST – again, example price only). This fee is payable by the member and not the RACQ or its contractor.
Inland river / creek example:
RACQ’s Contractor attends a member who has a broken down vehicle in Cow Bay, Queensland. To get to the breakdown site, RACQ’s Contractor must travel by car ferry to cross the Daintree River. The fee to use the car ferry is $20 (inc GST – example price only). At the breakdown site, the RACQ Contractor is unable to get the member’s vehicle mobile and the vehicle must be towed from Cow Bay, Queensland to a repairer in Mossman, Queensland. To return the member’s vehicle to Mossman, Queensland the RACQ Contractor travels by car ferry to cross the Daintree River. The fee to use the car ferry is $80.00 (inc GST –example price only). The fees needed to for RACQ’s Contractor to use the car ferry to get to the breakdown site and then return the member’s vehicle to the repairer in Mossman, Queensland is payable by the member and not the RACQ or its contractor.
What happens if RACQ can't get my car going?
If your vehicle cannot be made mobile, free towing may be provided. The level of free towing is based upon which membership option you have purchased. For a comparison of the towing benefits between each of the membership options, visit the comparison section of our website.
It’s important to note that there are restrictions in place on the type of vehicle you can have as your nominated vehicle under RACQ membership. These same conditions apply to any vehicle requiring roadside assistance following a breakdown when driven by an Ultra Care, RACQ Ultimate or free2go (second year) members or those members of Gold or Gold50 loyalty levels.
Eligible vehicles are defined as all registered motor vehicles and motor cycles, except for::
- Trucks, buses or other heavy vehicles over 4.0 tonnes GVM;
- Taxis, limousines and other private rental hire vehicles;
- Rental vehicles;
- Vehicles offered for sale by a licensed motor vehicle dealer;
- Unregistered vehicles or vehicles on a day registration permit;
- Registered and unregistered tractors and farm equipment;
- Vehicles being used or tested in preparation for racing, trial, speed or hill climbing test, or being used on a race track for any purpose;
- Motorised homes over 4 tonnes GVM; and
- Others as determined from time to time, details available from RACQ.
lease note that RACQ Fleet membership may apply to some of these categories – contact 13 1905 for more details.
To receive roadside assistance from RACQ following a breakdown, benefits will apply to any registered Caravan or Trailer towed behind your vehicle, with the following exceptions:
- Caravans used as a permanent place of residence. A caravan that has been situated at one location for more than four (4) weeks may be deemed as being a permanent place of residence;
- Caravans or trailers exceeding 4 tonnes GVM;
- For members with RACQ Roadside, Roadside Extra, Plus Care or Ultra Care, caravans or trailers exceeding 7.3 metres or 23 feet in length including drawbar;
- For RACQ Ultimate members, caravans or trailers exceeding 9.7 metres or 32 feet in length including drawbar;
- Unregistered caravans or trailers or those on a day registration permit;
- Caravans or Trailers which use a fifth-wheel (semi-trailer) hitch;
- Caravans or trailers that have suffered a mechanical breakdown and damage has occurred which is or could be covered by a motor vehicle insurance policy; and
- Motorised Homes over 4 tonnes GVM.
In all instances, RACQ’s ability to provide assistance is governed by the resources available in the area of breakdown.
I hold a 'Lifestyle' membership options - what am I entitled to?
The only membership option that won’t provide you with roadside assistance is our Lifestyle option, which is intended for those people who do not want or need roadside assistance. If you hold a Lifestyle membership option and require assistance at the roadside, you can still call us on 13 1111 to upgrade your membership and receive immediate roadside assistance for an additional fee.
Lifestyle members are able to receive non-motoring benefits – like free maps from our stores, free technical advice and legal advice, discounts on pre-purchased theme park and attraction tickets, discounted movie tickets and access to the Show your Card & Save program and much more. You can read more about our member benefits and discounts online.
What if I break down outside Queensland?
If you break down interstate, you are entitled to receive roadside assistance through RACQ’s reciprocal arrangements with affiliated interstate automobile clubs and associations.
All you have to do is call 13 1111 in the event of a breakdown. The benefits provided free of charge will be limited by the entitlements available under your individual membership option. Regardless, the RACQ will help make the appropriate arrangements. You may be charged additional fees depending on the service that is required.
Roadside assistance vs. insurance
It’s important to note that free RACQ roadside assistance does not cover you in the event of an accident and is not a substitute for motor vehicle insurance. In the event of an accident or any sort of impact damage you will need to contact your Insurance provider for help.
RACQ can assist you via our 24 hour Help Line, where our consultants can provide immediate advice on what actions to take, including legal advice, arrange for a tow (at either your cost or the cost of your insurance company) where necessary and relay any urgent messages for you. Your RACQ Help Line Consultant can also assist arrange accommodation or alternative transport at your cost.
I’m a free2go member. How does all of this apply to me?
free2go is the RACQ’s youth membership program, designed for all 16 - 19 year olds residing in Queensland.
First year free2go members (16 year olds and Year 11 students) receive all the benefits of RACQ membership, except for roadside assistance.
free2go members in their second year (17 year olds and Year 12 students) are entitled to receive roadside assistance in any vehicle they are driving. The member (cardholder) must be with the vehicle when breakdown assistance is provided. In some circumstances production of a current driver licence may be required before service is provided.
free2go members in their third and fourth years (18 and 19 year olds not in year 12) receive roadside assistance for half the subscription price and must nominate one vehicle only. More information is provided in the free2go Fact and Features booklet, or you can visit www.free2go.com.au.
I’m not a member at all. What happens if I break down – can I call the RACQ?
If you don’t have RACQ membership and have broken down, you can call the RACQ on 13 1111 (24 hours) and we can arrange for you to join immediately so that you can receive roadside assistance. In this situation, an additional fee will apply for the provision of immediate roadside assistance.
My car has broken down - what do I do?
To make sure we can help you as quickly as possible, follow these steps if you need RACQ to attend you at the roadside:
- First, look around, determine your location and gather your details.
- Call RACQ on 13 1111 - remember, this is a 24-hour number, so you can call at any time
- Advise us of your:
- Registration number and membership card number
- Exact location, including the nearest corner street
- Contact number (e.g. mobile if you have one)
- Wait with the vehicle at an agreed pick up point.
Please be aware if you are not available or with the vehicle when the patrol arrives, they will wait for a short time only before moving on to their next job.
In some circumstances production of a current driver licence may be required.
For more information, you can visit the contact us section on the website.
RACQ have now made it even easier and convenient to lodge a roadside assistance request with the RACQ iPhone app. The breakdown request is sent direct to RACQ’s dispatch system using your iPhone. There is no need to call (unless it’s an emergency), as the phone’s inbuilt GPS is used to determine your current location. For more information or to download the app visit the RACQ Mobile Services site.
Excluding roadside assistance, what other benefits do I get for being a member of RACQ?
In addition to roadside assistance, your RACQ membership entitles you to discounts and benefits on a range of products and services:
- Discounts on RACQ Insurance
- Access to our Show Your Card & Save program, where members receive discounts at a number of retailers and partners simply by showing their RACQ membership card. For more information on the SYC&S benefits, visit the Show Your Card & Save section.
- Discounts on pre-purchased theme parks, attractions and movie tickets
- Member prices for a range of retail products stocked at the local RACQ store
- Discounted prices on child restraints
- Access to domestic and international travel
- Member prices on vehicle inspections
- Car storage and airport parking
- Competitive loan rates
- Assistance from RACQ’s Technical and Legal Advisory services