Here at RACQ we are helping people get back on the road and enjoy some great Queensland destinations.
Over the years we have heard some amazing road trip stories from our members and have put together a series of road trip itineraries exploring the most loved destinations throughout Queensland. Let us help you plan your next road trip holiday.
1. Tools for planning your journey
- Trip Planner – The easiest ways to plan a road trip!
- Mobile Trip Planner – Maps, turn-by-turn directions, attractions & accommodation
- Maps & books – for those who just want an old fashioned map
- Roadside Assistance Selector – Make sure you have the correct cover
- Holiday Trip Vehicle Inspections or Caravan & Trailer Inspections
- Rent a car or hire a motorhome – Great deals for members
- Accommodation Search – STAR ratings plus user reviews
- Discounted Tickets – Special member deals on attractions & events
- Drive Travel eNewsletter – Be informed for your next road trip
- RACQ Online Shop – for all your road trip supplies including 4WD and camping
2. Before you leave
- Ensure the car is serviced with an RACQ approved repairer
- Ideally have your vehicle inspected by RACQ for extra peace of mind
- Make sure you plan your journey to give yourself plenty of time to arrive safely
- Read about important road safety information
- Check Australian Road Conditions before your journey
- Be assured of safety by having the correct Roadside Assistance Cover
3. Packing your car
- Secure loose items so if you need to stop suddenly your road safety is ensured
- Don't over pack your car
- Make sure all mirrors are usable & avoid creating blind spots
4. Before heading off
- Check all lights and indicators are working properly
- Check tyres (including spare) have adequate tread and at correct pressure
- Check engine oil and coolant are at the correct levels
- Check for windscreen chips, cracks or scratches
- Check windscreen wipers and washers are functioning correctly
- If you are unsure get some RACQ vehicle technical advice
5. During your trip
- Stop at least every 2 hours for a minimum of 15 minutes to prevent drowsiness
- Don’t let kids become a distraction by having something for them to do
Besides travelling safely, there are a few other things you can do to make sure your road trip holiday is an enjoyable one:
Unless you're happy to fumble about with maps and back track after every wrong turn, it's probably a good idea to plan your route before leaving home.
An even better way to stay on track is to download the RACQ Mobile Trip Planner iPhone app with detailed maps, turn-by-turn directions and information on attractions and accommodation along your route.
In the event of a breakdown, you can even use the app call for roadside assistance - using your phone’s GPS to provide us with an accurate location. Easy!
The last thing you want on a road trip is to have a breakdown and be stranded by the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, at night, with no-one to help.
RACQ offers several membership options, each with a different range of benefits.
To compare memberships and ensure you have the best cover for your needs, try our quick Membership Selector tool - it’s really easy to use and only takes a few minutes.
Pre-booking accommodation lets you quickly check-in and relax upon reaching your destination. But how do you choose the right place and get a good price?
One way is to use our free Accommodation Search tool, which features nationally recognised STAR ratings plus user reviews so you can be confident in the standard of room and service you will receive.
In addition, there are lots of member discounts and benefits on offer that you won’t find anywhere else.
Turning up at a popular tourist attraction without tickets is a great way to wait in line for ages then pay too much. Save time and money by pre-purchasing your tickets online.
Try the RACQ discount tickets page where you can access special member deals we have negotiated with many theme parks, attractions & events, zoos & wildlife centres, day tour operators and more.
No matter how far in advance you decide on your route, the unpredictable Queensland weather can often force a change in your plans at the last minute.
To check that your route is clear of flooding, roadworks closures, traffic incidents or other problems, simply visit our Road Conditions website.
If you are flying somewhere then plan on driving around to see the sights, you will most likely need to hire a vehicle for the duration of your stay.
But you won’t get a great deal when renting on arrival at the airport or in town, so it pays to book in advance.
The easiest way to do this is via the RACQ website, where you can take advantage of special member discounts:
Rent a car or Hire a motorhome.
Even a well-maintained modern car can suffer major problems when you least expect. A pre-trip car inspection can help prevent major disruption to your holiday.
Visit the RACQ vehicle inspection page to browse the different options available.
A full inspection covers the body, interior, windows, engine, chassis, steering, suspension, exhaust and driveline, brakes, wheels and tyres, oil, electrical system, lights and more.