Here at RACQ we are helping people get back on the road and enjoy some great Queensland destinations.
Over the years we have heard some amazing road trip stories from our members and have put together a series of road trip itineraries exploring the most loved destinations throughout Queensland. Let us help you plan your next road trip holiday.
1. Tools for planning your journey
- Trip Planner – The easiest ways to plan a road trip!
- Mobile Trip Planner – Maps, turn-by-turn directions, attractions & accommodation
- Maps & books – for those who just want an old fashioned map
- Roadside Assistance Selector – Make sure you have the correct cover
- Holiday Trip Vehicle Inspections or Caravan & Trailer Inspections
- Rent a car or hire a motorhome – Great deals for members
- Accommodation Search – STAR ratings plus user reviews
- Discounted Tickets – Special member deals on attractions & events
- Drive Travel eNewsletter – Be informed for your next road trip
- RACQ Online Shop – for all your road trip supplies including 4WD and camping
2. Before you leave
- Ensure the car is serviced with an RACQ approved repairer
- Ideally have your vehicle inspected by RACQ for extra peace of mind
- Make sure you plan your journey to give yourself plenty of time to arrive safely
- Read about important road safety information
- Check Australian Road Conditions before your journey
- Be assured of safety by having the correct Roadside Assistance Cover
3. Packing your car
- Secure loose items so if you need to stop suddenly your road safety is ensured
- Don't over pack your car
- Make sure all mirrors are usable & avoid creating blind spots
4. Before heading off
- Check all lights and indicators are working properly
- Check tyres (including spare) have adequate tread and at correct pressure
- Check engine oil and coolant are at the correct levels
- Check for windscreen chips, cracks or scratches
- Check windscreen wipers and washers are functioning correctly
- If you are unsure get some RACQ vehicle technical advice
5. During your trip
- Stop at least every 2 hours for a minimum of 15 minutes to prevent drowsiness
- Don’t let kids become a distraction by having something for them to do
Besides travelling safely, there are a few other things you can do to make sure your road trip holiday is an enjoyable one:
Unless you're happy to fumble about with maps and back track after every wrong turn, it's probably a good idea to plan your route before leaving home.
An even better way to stay on track is to download the RACQ Mobile Trip Planner iPhone app with detailed maps, turn-by-turn directions and information on attractions and accommodation along your route.
In the event of a breakdown, you can even use the app call for roadside assistance - using your phone’s GPS to provide us with an accurate location. Easy!
The last thing you want on a road trip is to have a breakdown and be stranded by the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere, at night, with no-one to help.
RACQ offers several membership options, each with a different range of benefits.
To compare memberships and ensure you have the best cover for your needs, try our quick Membership Selector tool - it’s really easy to use and only takes a few minutes.
Pre-booking accommodation lets you quickly check-in and relax upon reaching your destination. But how do you choose the right place and get a good price?
One way is to use our free Accommodation Search tool, which features nationally recognised STAR ratings plus user reviews so you can be confident in the standard of room and service you will receive.
In addition, there are lots of member discounts and benefits on offer that you won’t find anywhere else.
Turning up at a popular tourist attraction without tickets is a great way to wait in line for ages then pay too much. Save time and money by pre-purchasing your tickets online.
Try the RACQ discount tickets page where you can access special member deals we have negotiated with many theme parks, attractions & events, zoos & wildlife centres, day tour operators and more.
No matter how far in advance you decide on your route, the unpredictable Queensland weather can often force a change in your plans at the last minute.
To check that your route is clear of flooding, roadworks closures, traffic incidents or other problems, simply visit our Road Conditions website.
If you are flying somewhere then plan on driving around to see the sights, you will most likely need to hire a vehicle for the duration of your stay.
But you won’t get a great deal when renting on arrival at the airport or in town, so it pays to book in advance.
The easiest way to do this is via the RACQ website, where you can take advantage of special member discounts:
Rent a car or Hire a motorhome.
Even a well-maintained modern car can suffer major problems when you least expect. A pre-trip car inspection can help prevent major disruption to your holiday.
Visit the RACQ vehicle inspection page to browse the different options available.
A full inspection covers the body, interior, windows, engine, chassis, steering, suspension, exhaust and driveline, brakes, wheels and tyres, oil, electrical system, lights and more.
Escape the grind with this driving holiday and explore Queensland’s diverse landscape as you travel from Rockhampton to Townsville. You could win a 6 night Choice Hotel accommodation package plus a $150 Caltex fuel card to take this road trip or create your own!
Escape the grind with this driving holiday and explore the best of what Gold Coast, Brisbane, Ipswich and Toowoomba has to offer. You could win a 6 night Choice Hotel accommodation package plus a $150 Caltex fuel card to take this road trip or create your own!
Escape the grind with this driving holiday and see what everyone’s raving about as you discover the magic of the Cairns and Townsville regions. You could win a 6 night Choice Hotel accommodation package plus a $150 Caltex fuel card to take this road trip or create your own!
Escape the grind with this driving holiday from Maryborough to Bundaberg and enjoy the scenery as you stop off at Hervey Bay & Childers. You could win a 6 night Choice Hotel accommodation package plus a $150 Caltex fuel card to take this road trip or create your own!
Enter this week to win one night’s accommodation at Spicers Peak Lodge including breakfast, meals, gourmet picnic hamper, 7 course degustation dinner with wines to match, plus much more. To get you started, you will also receive a $150 Caltex fuel card.
This week we are giving away a weekend escape to beautiful Noosa, you could win 1 night’s accommodation at Breakfree French Quarter Resort including breakfast for 2. You could be there, enter today.
Get back to nature with this weekend escape, you could be our lucky last weekend escape winner, heading to O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat for 1 night’s accommodation including breakfast, morning and afternoon teas, early morning bird walk and much more.
Terms and Conditions
- This competition is a promotion run by RACQ Operations Pty Limited ABN 80 009 663 414 ("Promoter").
- Entries and information on prizes and how to enter form part of these terms and conditions ("Terms"). Entries not completed in accordance with these Terms are ineligible. Participation in this competition constitutes acceptance of these Terms.
- The competition is open to residents of Queensland over the age of 18 years of age only
- Employees and their immediate families of the Promoter, related entities and agents of the Promoter, including employees and their immediate families of RACQ Insurance are ineligible to enter. [read more]
- The competition commences 1st December 2012 and closes 11.59pm, 6th January 2013. The competition will be drawn at 10am on Wednesday 9th January, 2013 in the RACQ Marketing Department, in the RACQ corporate office complex at 2649 Logan Road, Eight Mile Plains, Queensland.
- There will be one winner in this competition that will be chosen at random from all eligible entries received. The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entry is by visiting racq.com/roadtrip and clicking on an enter now link and then entry form button and completing an RACQ competition entry form, which contains the entrant’s name, day time telephone number and email address. The entrants are given the option of stating whether they are an RACQ member.
- Only one entry per entrant is permitted and only one prize will be awarded.
- The winner will receive a $150 Caltex fuel card and a 6 night Choice Hotel accommodation voucher valued at approximately $1200. Total prize value is approximately $1350. Prize value may alter depending on accommodation location chosen by the winner. Seasonality and Star rating of accommodation property will impact the prize value. Prize components may alter at the discretion of the Promoter. Any change in the value of the prizes between the publishing date and the date that the prizes are claimed is not the responsibility of the Promoter.
- The Caltex fuel card must be used by the expiry date listed on the back of the card. The Choice Hotel Accommodation is subject to availability and must be booked by 30th June, 2013 direct with the Choice Hotel Reservation Centre. The accommodation voucher cannot be presented direct to any Choice Hotel.
- The winner will be contacted by phone and email on the telephone number and email address provided by the winner when they enter the competition and arrangements will be made to deliver the fuel card and accommodation voucher to the winner by mail.
- The Choice Hotel accommodation voucher and Caltex Fuel Cards are not transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash.
- Travel, insurance, spending money and all other ancillary costs are the winner’s responsibility.
- If a competition winner is unable to be contacted within 2 weeks of the draw, a redraw will occur. In the event that a redraw is required it will be held at 10.00am on 23rd January 2013 in the RACQ Marketing Department, RACQ Head Office, 2649 Logan Road, Eight Mile Plains, Queensland and the redraw winner will be notified by telephone and email on the telephone number and email address provided by them when they enter the competition.
- All entries become the property of the Promoter. No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected entries.
- If for any reason this competition is not capable of being conducted by the Promoter as intended, whether because of computer virus, mobile phone failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter which in the Promoter’s opinion affects the administration of the competition, security, fairness or integrity, the Promoter may in its sole discretion, cancel, modify or suspend the competition, subject to the approval of the gaming authority in Queensland as may be required.
- The Promoter will not be liable for any loss or damage or for any personal injury sustained as a result of taking the prize[s] or entering into this competition. The Promoter makes no representations or warranties as to the quality, suitability or merchantability or any goods or services offered as prizes. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter is not liable for any loss suffered to a person or property by reason of any act or omission, deliberate or negligent, by the Promoter or its employees or agents, in connection with the arrangement for the supply, or the supply, of goods and services by any person to the prize winners and, where applicable, to any persons accompanying the prize winner. [read less]