Pack your permit if you’re heading abroad

The State’s peak motoring body has reminded drivers heading overseas to ensure sure they had a valid International Driving Permit (IDP) if they intended to get behind the wheel on their next holiday.

RACQ Manager of Motoring Advice Joel Tucker said the impending European summer had resulted in a spike in the number of enquiries to the Club’s advice hotline.

“We’ve noticed an increase in the number of people curious about whether their European summer holiday destination would need an IDP, which is encouraging because you have to be prepared,” Mr Tucker said.

“Many countries require Australians to have an IDP in addition to a valid Australian driving licence to legally drive a car or ride a motorbike.

“While it may not be legally required to drive in every European countries, some overseas rental companies may still expect you to have an IDP to rent a car.

“Some vehicle insurance policies will not cover you if you have a crash unless you have the appropriate licence.”

Mr Tucker said obtaining a permit was easy but required some forward thinking.

“Drivers can apply at an RACQ branch, online, over the phone or through the post, but applying by mail can take up to two weeks,” he said.

Mr Tucker reminded drivers RACQ members had access to the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) reciprocal benefits and savings all over the world.

“RACQ members will automatically join the international program, which means they could not only be eligible for roadside assistance or other benefits in many countries but can also get savings from more than 150 thousand partners world-wide – so remember to pack your RACQ membership card.”

View the full list of the countries that require an IDP here.