Ready, set, road closures for Sunshine Coast Marathon
The State’s peak motoring body has warned drivers to prepare for traffic changes over the weekend as a major marathon was set to impact Sunshine Coast roads.
The annual Sunshine Coast Marathon and Community Running Festival would be held over four days from Friday 2 August and would see thousands of competitors hit the streets of Maroochydore, Alexandra Headland and Mooloolaba.
RACQ spokesperson Lauren Ritchie said the major road impacts would be felt on Sunday during the festival’s headline event and reminded drivers to plan their journey ahead of time.
“There’ll be temporary closures on key roads like Alexandra Parade, Brisbane Road, Sixth Avenue and Bradman Avenue, so motorists are urged to pay attention to the signage in place and follow the direction of police and traffic controllers who’ll be on hand to help coordinate diversions,” Ms Ritchie said.
“A number of bus stops will also be closed but a shuttle bus will run half hour services from Maroochydore Station around the local area.
“Wherever you might be headed on the Sunshine Coast, expect it to be busy with traffic congestion and plenty of competitors so be sure to pack your patience.”
The latest traffic conditions could be viewed on RACQ’s Road Conditions website.
The following road closures would be in place on Sunday:
Mooloolaba (between 5am and 7.15am)
- Brisbane Road – Amarina Avenue to Foote Street
- Brisbane Road – Foote Street to Mooloolaba Esplanade
- Mooloolaba Esplanade – Brisbane Road to Buderim Mooloolaba Road
- Beach Terrace
- Alexandra Parade – Venning Street to Buderim Mooloolaba Road.
Alexandra Headland (between 4am and 1pm)
- Alexandra Parade – Sixth Ave to Pacific Terrace (southbound only)
- Alexandra Parade – Buderim Road to Pacific Terrace
- Boolarong Crescent.
Alexandra Headland (between 5.45am and 12pm)
- Alexandra Parade – Pacific Terrace to Mari Street (northbound only).
Cotton Tree (between 5am and 12pm)
- Sixth Avenue – Aerodrome Road to Memorial Avenue
- Melrose Parade – Sixth Avenue to Alexandra Parade
- Memorial Ave – King Street to Alexandra Parade
- Beach Parade – Sixth Avenue to Alexandra Parade
- Kingsford Smith Parade – Sixth Ave to Alexandra Parade
- Alexandra Parade
- Cotton Tree Parade
- The Esplanade.
Maroochydore (between 5am and 8.45am)
- Bradman Avenue – Yinni Street to O’Connor Street
- Duporth Avenue – Ball Street to O’Connor Street
- Bradman Avenue – Yinni Street to Fishermans Road.
Maroochydore (between 5am and 11.30am)
- Duporth Avenue – The Esplanade to Ball Street
- Ocean Street roundabout –to Duporth Avenue
- Picnic Point Esplanade.