Huge weekend for RACQ Air Rescue Network

From motorbike and car crashes, to transferring unwell Queenslanders to other hospitals across the State, RACQ Air Rescue Network crews were kept busy over the long weekend.

More than 30 Queenslanders were rescued by RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopters alone, with the Toowoomba-based aircraft responded to five incidents in its region, including the airlift of a seriously injured driver after a truck rollover.

The patient, aged in his 40s, had lost control on a bend in the road south east of Chinchilla and was airlifted to Toowoomba Hospital in a serious but stable condition with leg and upper body injuries.

Later in the weekend, on Sunday afternoon, a motocross rider was airlifted to the Princess Alexandra Hospital in a stable condition after he crashed down a four-metre embankment at a private motocross park.

Off and on-road motorbike crashes were a theme across the three-day break, after crews attended five off-road and two on-road incidences, a reminder that Queenslanders need to play it safe both on and off the road.

The Sunshine Coast based RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopter had to airlift a teenage driver to hospital after a head-on collision in the hinterland on Sunday morning.

The driver’s vehicle reportedly collided head-on with another vehicle before rolling and coming to rest on its roof.

On Monday, RACQ CQ Rescue attended a serious incident north-west of Mackay, where a 13 year old motorbike rider had crashed her dirt bike and landed near a bee hive.

The rider suffered head and spinal injuries, but was also stung by a swarm of bees which compounded her injuries.

Three family members rushed to her aid but were subsequently stung by the swarm also, and the patient’s 18 year old brother also required medical treatment following a serious allergic reaction.

RACQ Capricorn Helicopter Rescue Service also responded to a number of critical tasks, including a near drowning at Agnes Waters, north of Bundaberg. A man was pulled from the water unconscious and CPR was administered immediately. He was then transported to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital in a serious but stable condition.