Brisbane battered – more than 550 storm claims received
Many south-east Queensland residents are surveying damage to their homes this morning after a severe storm tore through the region on Sunday evening.
RACQ spokesperson Kirsty Clinton said 560 members had already submitted claims for damage (at 12.30pm Tuesday) but she expected that number to rise.
“The storm was only brief but it was powerful and appears to have caused a lot of damage to homes and motor vehicles,” Ms Clinton said.
“So far, the majority of claims we’ve received are from the Forest Lake and Browns Plains region, and also around Redland Bay.
“Thankfully, damage has been minor in most cases. Sheds, fences and outdoor furniture appear to have been the hardest hit.”
Energex reported more than 265,000 lightning strikes across the south east and at the peak of the storm more than 135,000 homes and business were left without power.
Ms Clinton warned motorists to be wary on the roads in the aftermath of the storm.
“Motorists should be wary of fallen trees, powerlines and debris on the roads,” she said.