Tragic death a reminder to all about importance of pedestrian safety

The State’s peak motoring body has expressed concern about the increase in the number of pedestrians killed on Queensland roads.

The comments came after the Courier Mail reported the Queensland Government had been urged to drastically reduce speed limits to 30km/h in built-up areas to ensure the safety of pedestrians.

The Pedestrian Council of Australia made the comments after a woman and her partner, both 67, were hit by a vehicle as they crossed an intersection at Browns Plains, south of Brisbane, Thursday morning.

This was the sixteenth pedestrian killed on Queensland roads this year – the worst start to a year for pedestrian deaths since at least 2013.

RACQ spokesperson Paul Turner said while the Club did not support the blanket speed limit reduction which had been suggested, Thursday’s tragedy was a reminder to all road users about the need to take extra care.

“Any death on our roads is devastating and we all need to play our part to ensure every road user gets home safely,” Mr Turner said.

“However, we don’t think a blanket speed limit reduction in built up areas is appropriate and would prefer 30km/h speed limits in high activity areas to be considered on a case by case basis.”

While mobile phones had not been linked to this most recent pedestrian death, Mr Turner said technology continued to play a part in fatalities on Queensland roads.

“We’re very concerned with the increase in pedestrian deaths and the potential association with the use of mobile device by pedestrians leading to inattention,” he said.

“Mobile phones play such a huge part in our lives, but consequently, distraction is one of the leading causes of serious injury and fatalities on our roads. We’re urging all drivers and pedestrians to put the phone down whenever they’re on or near a road – it’s just not worth the risk.”