Easter weekend fatalities prompt warning
The State’s peak motoring body has issued an urgent safety warning following a number of deaths on Queensland roads over the Easter long weekend.
RACQ spokesperson Clare Hunter said it was horrifying three lives had already been lost since Thursday.
“It’s a devastating start to the Easter long weekend and with more people getting on the road today and tomorrow to head home, we’re pleading with drivers to take care,” Ms Hunter said.
“Every life lost on our roads is tragic and affects friends, families and communities – we all need to do everything we can to try and lower the number of people killed by road crashes.”
Ms Hunter urged drivers to make smart choices on the road, as many crashes were preventable.
“It’s vital motorists make sure they’re taking enough breaks and aren’t driving while they’re tired,” she said.
“You should also watch your speed, avoid distractions like mobile phones, make sure every person in the car is wearing a seatbelt, and never get behind the wheel if you’re affected by drugs or alcohol.”