SEQ project road map paves way to the future: RACQ
The State’s peak motoring body has welcomed the release of a ‘road map’ set to address the transport challenges south east Queensland (SEQ) was set to face in future.
The SEQ People Mass Movement Study, launched by SEQ Council of Mayors, assessed the impact population growth would have on future transport demand by 2041, and identified 47 projects which would unlock the region’s growth potential.
RACQ spokesperson Paul Turner said the Club commended the shared long-term vision for the region and called on all levels of government to make it a reality.
“Delivery of this plan will require all tiers of government to work together, and with an election looming, we need everyone to get on board to achieve the vision of a smart, connected region,” Mr Turner said.
“An investment of $2.7 billion per year is required to see every project in this plan funded through to fruition. Building infrastructure isn’t going to get cheaper, so it’s crucial we plug these projects into the pipeline now, so we can meet future transport needs.
“We also applaud the inclusion of a range of road, rail and tunnel projects in the roadmap, which will aim for 45 minute travel times from Brisbane to surrounding regions.”
Mr Turner said it was pleasing to see many of the Club’s priority projects – outlined in its Mobility Matters Report – also incorporated.
“These are critical transport projects that are essential to meet population growth, manage congestion and improve productivity in the region into the future.”
Key projects included in the SEQ road map:
- Brisbane Metro
- Cross River Rail
- Fast Rail – Southern, Northern and Western Corridor
- Centenary Motorway Bypass – Sumners Road Interchange to Legacy Way at Toowong and linking to North-South Link at Everton Park
- North-South Link (Inner Western Bypass) – Tunnel corridor linking from Toowong (Centenary Motorway and Legacy Way) to the North West Transport Corridor at Everton Park
- North West Transport Corridor – Urban passenger rail and four-lane urban motorway from Bald Hills to Stafford Road and Alderley Station
- East-West Link – Toowong (Legacy Way) to South East Freeway Tunnel
- Pacific, Ipswich, Centenary and Mt Lindesay Motorway and Bruce Highway Upgrade Projects.
For the full list of projects, visit Council of Mayors.