How to protect your home from thieves
No one wants to come home from a dream trip away to find their home broken into, their privacy violated and their belongings stolen.
Before you head off, there are some simple measures you can take to make your house less attractive to thieves.
- Ask a trusted friend or neighbour to check your mail box or organise with Australia Post to hold your mail while you’re away. Nothing screams “no one is home” like month old mail spilling out of the mailbox.
- Buy a cheap timer and set up your TV, radio or lights to come on each evening to give the impression someone is home.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to mow your lawn while you’re gone. If you don’t know someone who can help, pre-arrange a local gardening company to do it for you.
- Ask a trusted friend or family member to spend some time at your house. You could bribe them with the use of your pool, free wi-fi, Foxtel or a fully stocked beer fridge.
- Ask a neighbour to park in your driveway or carport. A car coming and going is a great way to make your home look occupied.
- Organise for someone to put your bins out on bin night – but make sure you also ask them bring them back in the next day.
- Check your insurance won’t be affected. RACQ Home Insurance customers should advise us if their home will be unoccupied for more than 60 days.
- Finally, it may seem obvious, but check all windows and doors are locked.
Things not to do:
- Don’t “check in” on Facebook or post photos on social media while abroad. Wait until you’re home to post your pictures, or set your profile to private so only people you trust know you’re away.
- Don’t change your voicemail message to say you’re out of town.
- Don’t leave a spare key somewhere obvious like under the doormat or the pot plant by your door.
A few minutes of preparation can save a significant amount of pain when you return from your holiday. Put in the effort now and you can sip cocktails, climb mountains or sightsee without having to worry about what’s happening back at home.
Insurance products issued by RACQ Insurance Limited ABN 50 009 704 152. Conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please read the PDS before making a purchase decision on this product. Ask us for a copy.