Road closures to ring in New Year
As Brisbane residents prepared to celebrate the start of 2020, RACQ has urged drivers to be aware of road closures in place for New Year’s Eve celebrations.
Brisbane City Council reported changed traffic conditions would be in place from Monday through to early Wednesday morning, impacting several roads across South Brisbane, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane City, New Farm and Fortitude Valley.
RACQ spokesperson Lauren Ritchie said it was important revellers planned their journey ahead of time to avoid being caught out.
“We’re really urging everyone heading out on the town to think about how these road closure might affect their trip in or back home,” Ms Ritchie said.
Ms Ritchie urged party-goers to consider leaving the car at home and take advantage of the free public transport services available between 7.45pm on New Year's Eve to 5.30am on New Year's Day.
“With parking restrictions also in place, it could be a wise idea to ditch the car and jump on a free bus, train and ferry and make an adventure of it,” she said.
“Selected routes will also run additional, more frequent services to get everyone into the party precinct.”
The latest road closures and up-to-date traffic information could be viewed on RACQ’s Road Conditions website.
The following roads will be closed from 11.30pm Monday 30 December 2019 to 3pm Wednesday 1 January 2020:
• Little Stanley Street, from Glenelg Street to Tribune Street.
The following roads will be closed from 6am Tuesday 31 December 2019 to 2am Wednesday 1 January 2020:
• Ernest Street, between Grey Street and Little Stanley Street
• Russell Street, between Grey Street and South Bank Parklands
• Stanley Street and Cultural Centre loop, between Melbourne Street and access to the Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC) Car Park.
• Anderson Street
• Ellis Street, between Leopard Street and Lower River Terrace
• Holman Street
• Leopard Street, between River Terrace and Vulture Street
• Lower River Terrace, between Dock Street and Kangaroo Point Cliffs
• River Terrace, between Main Street and Leopard Street. Access to River Terrace from side streets will also be closed
• Wild Street.
• Adelaide Street, between North Quay and George Street
• George Street, between Elizabeth Street and Adelaide Street. Access from Burnett Lane will be maintained
• North Quay, between Tank Street and Victoria Bridge
• Victoria Bridge (general traffic), between Melbourne Street and North Quay
• William Street, between Queen Street and Elizabeth Street.
The following roads will be closed from 4pm Tuesday 31 December 2019 to 2am Wednesday 1 January 2020:
• Colchester Street
• Ernest Street, between Merivale Street and Little Stanley Street
• Grey Street, between Peel Street and Vulture Street
• Hope Street, between Peel Street and Melbourne Street
• Little Dock Street, between Dock Street and Stanley Street
• Melbourne Street, between Cordelia Street and Victoria Bridge
• Stanley Street, between Little Dock Street and Sidon Street
• Sidon Street, between Stanley Street and South Bank Parklands
• Tribune Street, between Merivale Street and Little Stanley Street.
• Elizabeth Street, between Riverside Expressway and George Street
• Elizabeth Street off-ramps on Riverside Expressway
• William Street, between Elizabeth Street and Stephens Lane.
• Bowen Street, between Bowen Terrace and Brunswick Street
• Bowen Terrace, between Malt Street and Bowen Street
• Harcourt Street, between Bowen Terrace and Brunswick Street
• Kent Street, between Bowen Terrace and Brunswick Street
• Malt Street, between Bowen Terrace and Brunswick Street.