Healthy Mediterranean chicken
Keep warm this winter with this Mediterranean chicken recipe.
Keen to try something new in the kitchen? Try this healthy Mediterranean chicken recipe courtesy of the Dieticians Association of Australia.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 40-50 minutes| Serves: Four
- Four chicken thighs (skin removed)
- 1/4 cup gluten free plain flour
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- One tsp of olive oil
- One clove garlic finely chopped
- One carrot finely chopped
- One onion sliced
- One red capsicum sliced
- 400ml tomato passata
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pitted olives
- 1/2 cup baby bocconcini
- Half a bunch of basil chopped
- Serving suggestion 2/3 cup rice or quinoa (cooked per packet instructions) *not included in nutrition analysis.
- Coat chicken with gluten-free flour, salt and pepper. Fry chicken in a small amount of olive oil on high, turning for three to four minutes until golden. Remove from pan.
- Next fry onion, garlic, carrot and capsicum in a pan for three to four minutes until soft. Re-add chicken and cover with passata and chicken stock.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for 30-40 minutes until the sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked. In the last five minutes of cooking stir though olives, bocconcini and basil.
- Divide into four portions and serve with rice or quinoa.
Recipe courtesy of the DAA Victorian Engagement and Development Committee. For the nutritional information of this recipe and for more recipe ideas, visit the Dietitians Association of Australia Smart Eating Recipe Collection.
Other recipes to try:
- Healthy snacks to make at home
- Cob loaf recipes
- Healthy banana bread recipe
- A guide to Indian curries