Know you're covered for storm damage
With another summer of wild weather anticipated, Queenslanders can rest assured knowing their property is covered.
Queensland’s summer storm season is underway and with it comes an increased risk of damage to homes and vehicles.
If the worst happens, be assured that hail and storm damage coverage is standard for RACQ members with household and comprehensive car insurance policies.
Home and Contents Insurance
Under your RACQ Home and/or Contents Insurance policy, we cover your home and contents for loss or damage caused by an incident that happens during the period of insurance if a storm, hail or flood damage your home or contents.
For policies with an effective date on or after 29 March 2021, our Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) defines storm as: “Strong winds that may also involve heavy rain, hail, or snow. For example, a cyclone”.
Comprehensive Car Insurance
Under your RACQ Comprehensive Car Insurance policy, we cover your vehicle for loss or damage caused by an incident that happens during the period of insurance if a storm, hail or flood damage your vehicle.
How to check your insurance policy details
Members can check their coverage by logging in to their My RACQ profile and accessing their policy information and insurance disclosure documents
The information and documents will tell you what events and damages you are covered for, your insured amounts, and any limits, conditions or excesses that apply.
Access your policy details by following these steps:
- Go to RACQ.com and log in to your My RACQ profile.
- From the home screen, click on the “More info” button next to your products.
- You can then access policy information, including the PDS (PDS) and applicable Supplementary PDS. You can also make a claim and change the contents sum insured.
Click here for more answers to your RACQ insurance questions.
Do you have enough cover?
RACQ spokesperson Kirsty Clinton said it was important to ensure you had appropriate levels of insurance cover for your home and its contents as part of your storm season preparations.
“Now’s the time to check your sum insured is adequate to rebuild your home if it was completely destroyed,” Ms Clinton said.
“It’s also time to make sure your home is properly prepared for bad weather, to reduce the risk of damage and the need to make a claim.”
Get your home storm-ready
- Household preparations ahead of storm season should include:
- Ensuring trees in your yard are cut back with dead branches moved away from your house.
- Maintaining your roof by keeping your gutters clear, securing loose tiles, and fixing sealing leaks.
- Installing shutters or metal screens if you are in a cyclone-prone area to help prevent windows breaking.
- Preparing your emergency plan.
Click here for more tips on staying safe before, during and after a severe weather event.
Insurance products issued by RACQ Insurance Limited ABN 50 009 704 152. Conditions, limits and exclusions apply. This is general advice only and may not be right for you. Consider the PDS, SPDS and TMD available at racq.com