Public Restaurant and Bar
Check out Brisbane city’s sophisticated urban loft restaurant and bar which is trending on the dining scene.
Enjoy the ultimate dining experience at the award-winning Public Restaurant and Bar in Brisbane city’s busy North Quarter.
Perched atop 400 George Street, this urban loft inspired restaurant and bar offers diners an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city with a relaxed and secluded dining area, lounge and bar for guests to unwind.
Public opened in 2012 however was recently relaunched under new management in October 2019. To get a taste of what diners can expect, we chat to the new owners Patrick Rano, Carmen Gutierrez and Joe Provine about what to expect from the new Public.
Who is the Head Chef?
Our Head Chef is Jerome Horanger, from Belgium.
What type of cuisine is on the menu?
The menu features an exciting balance of European, Australian and Peruvian influences, techniques and flavours. Public is proud to showcase its many talents through three separate menus including a lounge menu with unique bar snacks, an à la carte menu and a seasonal tailored functions menu.
Do you have a signature dish?
Some of our signature dishes include:
- Pan baked Goldband Snapper served with charred peach on a cucumber ribbon, heirloom tomato and citrus mascarpone topped with house-made Kalamata olive dust.
- Peruvian style ceviche with Aji Amarillo.
- House-made tortellini served with a crab bisque.
- Smoked Mayura wagyu brisket.
- KFD – our favoured bar snack Kentucky-Fried Duck
- In-house cured duck prosciutto with riberry compote on house-made rice wafers.
Do you use any unusual or native ingredients in your meals?
At Public we create innovative dishes using unique Peruvian flavours. We pay special attention to sourcing our ingredients locally and creating as much in-house as possible. Some unique ingredients which are used in our dishes include:
- Huacatay (Peruvian black mint) – a distinctive herb reflecting hints of basil, tarragon, mint and lime.
- Aji Amarillo (Peruvian yellow chilli pepper) – a pinnacle ingredient in Peruvian cuisine, Aji Amarillo balances out the heat of the chilli pod with subtle hints of passionfruit and mango.
Do you cater for gluten free and vegan customers?
Most of our offerings are gluten free, with some vegetarian selections available. Most dishes can be tailored to vegan needs.
Do you have a signature cocktail?
Public takes pride in its innovative signature cocktail list taking influences from around the world to provide Brisbane with an exciting selection of house cocktails to accompany any event.
Do you offer BYO?
Yes, Public is a fully licenced venue and currently offers a BYO wine night for our weekly Tuesday dinner service. Details and bookings can be made at Public.
Do you cater for functions and events?
Yes, Public offers two separate function rooms suitable to cater for eight to 55 people as well as a secluded restaurant that can be booked for functions.