Slow cooked pulled pork burgers
If you want to enjoy a delicious pork burger, rather than finding a good takeaway just head to the kitchen. We’ve got a tried-and-tested recipe that will have you salivating at the thought of making our own burgers.
- Pork shoulder (roughly 1.5kg-2.5kg. This will make approximately 10-12 cups of pulled pork.)
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ½ tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 large onions
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 3 tbsp liquid smoke
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce (or smokey barbecue sauce if you can get your hands on it)
- Buns of your choice (we prefer brioche buns)
- Butter to spread on buns
- Coleslaw mix
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slow cooked pulled pork
- Slice onions and spread them evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cut rind from pork shoulder. You can set this aside and make it into crackling to serve with the burgers if you like.
- Chop pork shoulder into 5x5cm chunks.
- Rub pork pieces with salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar and garlic.
- Place pork on top of onion bed.
- Pour liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar and stock around the pork.
- Slow cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, shred the pork into a bowl and add barbecue sauce.
- Mix mayonnaise, additional apple cider vinegar, additional brown sugar, salt and pepper with coleslaw mix.
- Grill and butter buns.
- Add coleslaw and pulled pork to buns in whatever quantities you desire and enjoy!