Things to consider before moving house
Moving to a new house is a great time to declutter your life and rid yourself of things you really don’t use or need.
Here are some easy ways to minimise the things you own before you move.
- Throw out broken items.
- Donate or recycle magazines, books, outdated technology and clothes that no longer fit.
- Empty the pantry and fridge as much as possible and avoid stocking up on groceries.
- Sell unwanted items on Gumtree or at a garage sale or donate them to a charity.
- Label all your boxes to reduce the cost of the move as the removalist can be more efficient due to your labelling.
- Use your own towels to wrap glasses, crockery and precious items, as this helps eliminate waste and reduces your moving load. Check when council clean-up is on to see if you can offload some rubbish and junk.
- Create your own removal pack with essential items for when you arrive in your new home. These include items like tea, coffee, snacks, paper towel, toilet paper, soap, detergent, insect spray, cleaning cloths, a couple of mugs plus the kettle. Phone chargers and the TV remote are also handy to have in this kit.
- Create a checklist of utilities and internet suppliers that need to be cut-off at your old home and connected at your new one. Contact the utility companies well in advance. Most have special ‘moving home’ services to make sure you are not inconvenienced.
Here are some things to remember when building your first home.