After the sale

Now that you’ve sold your car there are a few things you need to do:

Transfer your registration 

Your vehicle’s registration needs to be transferred into the new owner’s name. Both the seller and buyer need to complete the form. 

  • For private sales - the buyer lodges the form
  • For dealer sales - the dealer lodges the form
Keep the sellers section of the transfer form in a safe place. In the event the buyer fails to submit the form or receives a traffic offence notice, this proves that you are no longer in possession of the vehicle. A transfer administration fee is payable by the buyer. Duty is also applicable when transferring registration of a vehicle and is usually paid by the buyer. 

See Department of Transport and Main Roads > Registration Transfer

Personalised plates

If your car has personalised number plates that are not being sold with it you will need to notify TMR that the number plates are no longer allocated to that vehicle. Form F2964 CFD "Remove and/or attach" will need to be filled out. TMR will issue new standard plates for the vehicle. If the plates are being sold Form F2963ES must be completed to transfer personalised plates to a new owner. 


Once you’ve sold and delivered the car, you’ll need to contact your insurer. If you have a replacement vehicle simply update your policy. If you don’t have another vehicle to insure your insurer may refund the unused portion of your premium.

Toll Accounts

If you have a toll account don't forget to notify the company concerned that you no longer own the vehicle; otherwise you may be held responsible for any tolls the new owner accumulates.

Also check out: