Deadly lily danger

Vet warns cat owners to check for toxic blooms.

The Cat Protection Society of Victoria (CPSV) has issued a warning to cat owners about the deadly consequences of having lilies (Lilium spp and Hemerocallis spp) in the home.

CPSV Senior Veterinarian Peta Keown ingesting the pollen of a lily could lead to kidney failure or death in cats.

“Many pet owners aren't aware of how dangerous certain lilies are to cats and with many of us in lockdown, flowers such as ornamental lilies are being sent as gifts or purchased for display in the home,” Dr Keown said.

“Even if a cat eats a couple of leaves or rubs the pollen on their body then licks it off, they can suffer acute kidney failure within a very short period of time.”

If your cat has had access to a lily plant take them to your nearest vet immediately.

The key to successful treatment is early recognition of possible ingestion and veterinary management of the ensuing kidney failure. Ingesting any part of the plant can cause complete kidney failure within 36 hours.

Signs of lily toxicity include:

  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Depression
  • No urination
  • Increased thirst

Other common houseplants and flowers including desert rose, gladiola, philodendron, monstera, fiddle leaf fig and ZZ plants could be toxic to pets.

The ASPCA has complied a comprehensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants and flowers.

AWLQ and RACQ are working together to help Queensland pets. RACQ is offering pet owners three months’ free pet insurance when they either adopt an eligible pet from AWLQ or are a customer of an AWLQ vet clinic.