Foods to help you relax
If you’re looking for ways to relax your nerves without a session of yoga or meditation, being more selective with your diet may be the solution.
Many would be familiar with the feeling you get after indulging in something decadent or just enjoy a food treat. This is one of the benefits, apart from nutrition, that food provides. And eating or drinking certain types of foods can even help us relax, as well as smile. Here are five foods to consider to help you relax.
- Milk produces a calming effect as it contains tryptophan, which helps to produce serotonin, a sleep-inducing hormone. That’s why health specialists recommend you have a glass of milk before you go to bed, to help you get a good night’s rest.
- Soup help to rid the body of foreign bodies and infections. Make your vegetable soups with tomatoes, green peppers, carrots, celery, cauliflower, spinach and add garlic, thyme and other healthy herbs.
- Honey contains tryptophan and is rich in potassium which has a soothing relief on the brain and body. Potassium helps to fight off stress hormones in the body and the acids help relax the nervous system.
- Dark chocolate helps to reduce stress levels in the brain because it contains serotonin, endorphin and dopamine. These are great hormones for the mollifying of stress levels in the brain. Dark chocolate also enhances nervous and hormonal system function. Lots of healthy foods include dark chocolate, but don’t eat the chocolate that claims to include a glass and a half of full cream milk, as it’s not dark chocolate and will give you a sugar rush instead of relaxing you.
- Seafood contains magnesium, zinc and selenium which can help increase the mood of the brain. Seafood also contains omega-3, a fatty acid that also helps to produce a calming hormone for the brain.
You cant always eat at home, but by following these healthy foods when you dine out, you can help calm those nerves. RACQ members can also enjoy cash back at participating restaurants through the RACQ Bank Everyday Account and Dining Rewards program. So why not save a little peace of mind, not only with food you eat, but with some extra money in the bank.
*Maximum cash-back amount is $100 per eligible transaction made on a registered visa card. Only available at participating restaurants. Cash-back processed within 10 working days. 10% of your bill will be credited to your Visa.