Three delicious green smoothie recipes that you can make at home.
Introducing green smoothies to your diet is a great way to make sure you get your daily dose of vegetables when you are on-the-go. A green smoothie is a combination of fresh leafy greens, tropical fruits and liquid base (commonly almond or coconut milk).
Green smoothies are vibrant in colour and are full of nutrients to boost your immune system. Here’s three green smoothie recipes to get you started.
Sweet immune booster smoothie
- 1 cup roughly chopped spinach and kale, packed tightly
- 1½ cups almond breeze unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ cups frozen mix of mango, pineapple and kiwi chunks
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Add the spinach and kale to a blender with the almond breeze and blend well.
- Add the frozen fruit, ginger and lemon and blend until smooth. If the smoothie is too thick, add more almond milk, one tablespoon at a time.
If using fresh fruit instead of frozen, reduce the almond milk amount to one cup and slowly add more to make your preferred thickness. Or, add three to four ice cubes before blending. Makes two smoothies.
Creamy pineapple cucumber smoothie
- 1/2 cup (52g) sliced cucumber (skin on, organic when possible)
- 1 heaped cup (190g) cubed pineapple (if frozen, omit ice)
- 1/2 large ripe, peeled, frozen banana
- 1/4 cup (60ml) light coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) filtered water
- 1 lime, zested + juiced (1 tsp zest, 2 Tbsp (30ml) juice)
- 1 large handful (70g) greens (spinach or kale, organic when possible)
- 2-4 ice cubes
- Add cucumber, pineapple, frozen banana, light coconut milk, water, lime zest, lime juice, greens, and ice cubes to a blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- For a thicker smoothie, add more ice. For a thinner smoothie, add more liquid of choice. Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more lime juice or zest for acidity/brightness, banana or pineapple for sweetness, coconut milk for creaminess, and greens for more intense green colour.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 24 hours, though best when fresh.
Mint chocolate chip green smoothie
- 1 scoop sweet vanilla vegan protein powder*
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup silk almond milk- original
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 teaspoon cacao nibs
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut meat
- 1 teaspoon coconut flakes
- Mix all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Add maple syrup to taste or sweeten.