Healthy Winter slow cooker recipes
Winter is the time of year when the most ingenious cooking instrument, the slow cooker, is brought out of hiding.
Creamy chickpea and vegetable curry
Containing seven serves of vegetables, this curry is a great source of goodness and is regarded as a family favourite. Serves six.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Madras curry paste
- 1 cup Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 400ml can light coconut cream
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1kg pumpkin, cut into florets
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 300g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, grated
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup plain Greek-style yoghurt
- 4 naan bread, warmed
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add curry paste. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add stock. Bring to a simmer. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add coconut cream, capsicum and pumpkin to slow cooker. Season. Cover. Cook on high for one hour 30 minutes (or low for three hours). Add cauliflower and tomato. Cook for 15 minutes. Add beans and chickpeas. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until beans are just tender.
- Combine cucumber, coriander and yoghurt in a bowl. Serve remaining curry with naan bread, yoghurt mixture and extra coriander.
Lemongrass pumpkin soup
This recipe prides itself on its ability to incorporate all of your favourite Asian flavours, using fresh vegetables and herbs. Don’t be fooled — this dish packs a serious punch. Serves two.
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into thirds
- 1 long red chilli, diced and deseeded
- 2 tbsp diced fresh coriander stalks
- 2cm fresh galangal piece
- 2cm turmeric piece
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, optional
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 3 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin
- 1 large garlic clove, diced
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1-litre vegetable stock
- Peel from half of fresh lime
- 1/2 cup coconut cream, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Coriander leaves to serve
- Sauté onion, lemongrass, chilli, coriander stalks, galangal, turmeric and kaffir lime leaves in coconut oil, on medium heat, for 2–3 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, garlic, vegetable stock, lime peel, fish sauce and vegetable stock and bring to boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes, until pumpkin is soft when poked with a knife.
- Remove turmeric, galangal, lime peel and lemongrass from the soup and transfer the rest to a food processor or a blender. Purée until smooth, then add coconut cream and lime juice. Whiz a couple more times to incorporate.
- Serve with a ripple of coconut cream and fresh coriander leaves on top.
Mocha fudge cake
This is a delicious low-carb, sugar-free mocha cake which tastes just like fudge. Makes 12 servings.
- 1 ½ cups of Natural Sweetener
- 4 tbsp of butter or coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 85 grams unsweetened chocolate, melted
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 ½ tsp bicarb
- ¾ cup hot coffee
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla or chocolate extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Grease the inside of a slow cooker.
- Beat natural sweetener and coconut oil/butter in a bowl until combined. Beat in eggs, then chocolate, then sour cream.
- Sift the coconut/almond flour and bicarb in a bowl; add to chocolate mixture. Beat in coffee, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Pour batter into the vessel you are cooking in.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, two to four hours on low in a slow cooker.