The key to toning

A few simple changes of habit can keep your body toned through the winter months.

It’s easy to avoid exercising in the winter months because of the cooler temperatures. Author Andrea Marcellus developed the ‘and/life’ app to help working mums manage their lifestyle. Here are some of her exercise tips to help stay toned by changing a few of your daily habits.

Avoid sitting down all day, get up and move around regularly.

  • Take a brisk, 20-minute walk once or twice a day.
  • Invest in a stand-up desk, or at least stand for 60 to 90 minutes as you do things you would normally do sitting.
  • Consistency is the key. If you struggle to maintain a routine, consider loading a fitness tracker on your phone or watch so you get notifications to keep you active.
  • Watch your food portions. Try the 80/20 philosophy: 80% of your day is made up of the core nutritional building blocks, and the other 20% is to be used at your discretion.
  • Join a gym and set a fitness goal.