Upcoming Hollywood movies
The new movie releases you need to schedule into your calendar.
Cancel your plans and get ready for the new wave of Hollywood blockbusters. We’ve put together a release calendar of films you need to keep on your radar from April – July 2020.
From the makers of Toy Story and WALL-E comes a new animated fantasy film. In Onward, Ian and Barley Lightfoot are brothers in need of an adventure. For their 16th birthday, their late father leaves them a gift: a magic spell to bring him back for just one day.
- Release date: 2 April, 2020
- Director: Cary Joji Fukunaga
- Cast: Tom Holland, Chris Pratt and Julia Louis-Dreyfus
The New Mutants
A horror-thriller set in the X-Men universe where a group of young mutants are held against their will for psychiatric testing. When strange occurrences begin, the mutants must band together to make it out alive.
- Release date: TBD (Delayed by coronavirus)
- Director: Josh Boone
- Cast: Maisie Williams, Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton
Scarlett Johannsson reprises her role as Natasha Romanoff, the ‘Black Widow’, in Marvel's first film in Phase Four of their Cinematic Universe. The film follows Romanoff’s adventures between Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War.
- Release date: 30 April, 2020
- Director: Cate Shortland
- Cast: David Harbour, Florence Pugh, Scarlett Johansson
Fast & Furious 9
The ninth instalment in the Fast & Furious franchise is slated for release in May. Following the events of The Fate of the Furious, Dominic Toretto and his family must battle Dom’s younger brother Jakob, a deadly assassin, who is working with cyberterrorist Cipher.
- Release date: Delayed until April 2, 2021 (coronavirus)
- Director: Justin Lin
- Cast: Vin Diesel, Charlize Theron, John Cena
Based on the books by Eoin Colfer, Artemis Fowl follows the journey of a 12-year-old genius and the descendant of a long line of criminal masterminds. Artemis sets off on a quest to find his father, who disappeared under mysterious circumstances.
- Release date: 28 May, 2020
- Director: Kenneth Branagh
- Cast: Miranda Raison, Judi Dench, Josh Gad
The first big-screen full-length animated Scooby-Doo adventure follows Scooby’s origins and how Myster Inc was formed. Along with Shaggy, Fred, Velma and Daphne, Scooby must uncover the mystery behind the ‘dogpocalypse’.
- Release date: 14 May, 2020
- Director: Tony Cervone
- Cast: Amanda Seyfried, Ken Jeong, Zac Efron
Wonder Woman 1984
The sequel to 2017s Wonder Woman pits Diana Prince (Wonder Woman) against two formidable foes: Maxwell Lord and Cheetah, a villainess who possesses superhuman strength and agility. Wonder Woman must also deal with the return of her past love Steve Trevor.
- Release date: 4 June, 2020
- Director: Patty Jenkins
- Cast: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig
A direct sequel to the beloved 1992 supernatural horror classic is centred around a student completing a thesis on urban legends who summons the Candyman, a vengeful spirit who comes after anyone who dares to say his name five times.
- Release date: 11 June, 2020
- Director: Nia DaCosta
- Cast: Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris, Tony Todd
Top Gun: Maverick
After more than 30 years of service as one of the Navy’s top pilots, Maverick (Tom Cruise) finds himself training the next generation of Top Gun graduates. One of the new graduates is Lt. Bradley Bradshaw, the son of Maverick’s late best friend Goose.
- Release date: 25 June, 2020
- Director: Joseph Kosinski
- Cast: Tom Cruise, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly
A bank teller discovers he is a background player in an open-world video game. Not content with taking a backseat anymore, he rewrites the game to become the hero and save the world in his own unique way.
- Release date: 2 July, 2020
- Director: Shawn Levy
- Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer, Taika Waititi
The next chapter in the Ghostbusters universe follows a single mother and her two kids who, after arriving in a small town, discover they have a connection to the original ghostbusters. The film is written and directed by Jason Reitman, son of Ivan Reitman who directed Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters II (1989).
- Release date: 2 July, 2020
- Director: Jason Reitman
- Cast: Paul Rudd, Finn Wolfhard, Carrie Coon
Critically acclaimed director Christopher Nolan returns with his latest movie epic, Tenet. Tenet follows a covert secret agent (John David Washington) who is tasked with preventing World War III through time travel and manipulation.
- Release date: 16 July, 2020
- Director: Christopher Nolan
- Cast: John David Washington, Michael Caine, Robert Pattinson
Conditions, limits and exclusions apply, visit racq.com/movies for details. Tickets must be pre-purchased through RACQ. Advertised saving is the discount off the box office price.