What not to feed your dog this Christmas
A collection of festive food and treats best avoided by our four-legged friends this holiday season.
Christmas, it’s a time of love, happiness and overindulgence - whether its food, alcohol or presents we are all a bit guilty of over doing it during the festive season.
A bit of indulgence is ok for most of us as a sore stomach, head or a lighter wallet is often expected at Christmas with all the food and drinks going around, but it can have harsh ramifications for our canine companions.
Dogs have different digestive systems to us, so while that extra sip of eggnog or piece of ham might not hurt us, it can be harmful to your pooch. To help alleviate any extra unwanted bills over the holiday season we’ve put together a list of common foods that your ‘fur babies’ should avoid.
Milk, cheese and dairy
The impact of dairy on your dog will vary. Some dogs can include it in their diet without problem while others can experience acute pain after eating dairy.
Lactase is the enzyme that breaks down the sugar lactose which is found in dairy and can trigger a food allergy or cause an upset stomach for your dog.
Chocolate and other caffeinated food and drinks contain a substance called theobromine which is toxic to dogs. It can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea and become poisonous for your dog.
The amount of theobromine will vary depending on the type and quality of chocolate. In general, darker chocolates have higher doses and will be more toxic for your dog. Be careful in situations that could be a health risk, like licking chocolate icing from a bowl or eating mud cake.
Grapes and raisins
You should always avoid feeding these to your dog.
While we may love to eat them, grapes and raisins can be very dangerous for your dog. They are highly toxic and not easily processed by a dog’s digestive system. Your dog may start vomiting soon after eating, resulting in dehydration and in more severe cases, kidney failure.
Garlic and onions
Raw garlic and onions can cause gastrointestinal problems and anaemia if eaten by dogs. Vegetables like garlic, chives, and other members of the onion family, can cause problems for dogs if eaten in excess.
Fatty foods and alcohol
Alcohol and fatty foods are harmful to dogs and should be avoided.
A diet high in fat may lead to long term health problems and weight gain for your dog. A dog’s digestive system is not equipped to handle alcohol and it can damage their kidneys.
Cooked bones are not good for your dog as they can splinter and cause internal damage.
Feeding your dog raw meat and bones is usually okay as dogs have a largely carnivorous diet. Domesticated dogs should be fed human-grade meat as this minimises their risk of absorbing preservatives or bacteria which can cause stomach upsets.
Eating artificial sweeteners (like Xylitol) should be avoided.
Xylitol which is found in many baked goods, toothpaste and gum can be very harmful to your dog. It can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar levels and the onset of hyperglycaemia. While these reactions are more severe in cats, artificial sweeteners can cause liver failure and even seizures in dogs.
As little as a few macadamia nuts can make your dog ill. Symptoms include vomiting, muscle tremors, inability to walk and paralysis.
Foods containing macadamia nuts, such as baked goods, should also be avoided.
Treatment and prevention
Contact a vet if your dog has eaten any of the above foods. Try and gauge how much your dog has eaten as this can assist in providing appropriate treatment.
The easiest way to avoid having to treat your dog is through prevention. Avoidance of these foods eliminates the risk of a reaction.