RACQ and Thrifty bring exclusive discounts to members
We’ve teamed up with Thrifty to give RACQ members in Queensland exclusive deals and discounts on car hire. With over 240 locations across Australia and New Zealand, and a massive fleet of 16,000+ vehicles to choose from, Thrifty has your car hire needs covered. Even better, they are 100% Australian owned … just like us.
Here’s what you get with Thrifty*:
- 15% off the best rate of the day^
- $5 per day off Ultimate Protection or Premium Protection~
- No additional driver fee
- 30% off GPS hire**
Simply enter your membership number when making an Australian or New Zealand Thrifty Car Hire booking to take advantage of these offers.
Get a quote with Thrifty Australia
Get a quote with Thrifty New Zealand
Thrifty car hire review
I travel from the Sunshine Coast to Victoria regularly to visit with family and have hired vehicles from all of the car hire firms. I have found Thrifty to be the best to deal with. From the booking website to the staff at the counter. Also, they are the most prompt in adding the points to my Velocity account. Being a long term member of RACQ as well is an added bonus. The benefit to me with a reduction in the hire fee is wonderful. Many thanks to RACQ and Thrifty.
Libby Day, RACQ Member
Helpful car hire tips
Booking your hire car
- Plan ahead – try to book your car hire as far ahead as you can, to beat the rising prices during the holiday periods and ensure availability.
- Avoid airport fees – renting a car directly from the airport often comes with additional fees such as airport surcharges, drop off fees or taxes, so it’s a good idea to pick up your car up from a suburban location.
- Read the terms and conditions – always read the car hire company’s terms and conditions carefully prior to making a booking.
- Pick the right car size – make sure that your hire car is the right size for you and all of your luggage, so that you and your family have a comfortable experience during your trip.
- Check for restrictions on where you can take the car – be aware of any ‘unlimited mileage’ offers, as some car rental companies will not cover you for off-road driving and travel through particular locations.
Picking up your hire car
- Car type not what you ordered? Wherever possible, the car hire company will provide you with the advertised size and model of the car you wish to rent; if it’s not available, they should provide you with a similar sized product.
- Petrol – Read the guidelines around pre-paid fuel offers, and always fill the tank before returning the vehicle (be aware that petrol stations near airports often charge higher rates. You can find cheap fuel prices at RACQ Fair Fuel Prices.). You should check mileage before you leave the car hire company.
- Excess – Have a clear understanding of the excess terms and conditions prior to driving away.
- Insurance – Check exactly what the standard insurance covers. For example, rental car insurance often doesn’t cover damage to the wheels, tyres or undercarriage of the vehicle; and may not cover you for off-road driving. Check if RACQ's travel insurance policy provides any insurance for car hire. Many travel insurance policies will cover third party liability claims and theft so make sure you don’t pay for this twice.
- Extras – Check your paperwork to make sure all the extras you need for your trip are covered.
Safe driving checklist
- In Australia, take your driver’s licence, insurance certificate (if purchased through an independent insurer) and the vehicle registration documents with you.
- Plan your route in advance – the RACQ Trip Planner is a great tool for domestic trips.
- Do the essential checks on oil, tyres, petrol, battery and water before you leave (these are the most common causes of breakdown).
- Check you have a spare wheel, jack, first-aid kit etc .
- If you are driving internationally, carry your international driver’s licence at all times. Research the road rules carefully.
Returning the hire car
- Be on time – Rental companies charge extra for late returns. Call if you are running late to explain your situation.
- Get proof of the car condition – Take the time to double check for any marks or scratches along all panels, the wheels, the mileage counter and fuel gauge and make sure they are noted on the rental agreement. You could even take photos of the car.
- Handing the keys back – Check the original agreement to ensure no additional charges have been added on accidentally and make sure you receive a copy of the paperwork stating the vehicle has been returned successfully.
- Returning after business hours – Make sure the keys are securely placed in the locked key box.
- Keep the paperwork – Lastly, keep a copy of the paperwork. The rental company will check the car over carefully for any damages after you return it. Check your credit card statement a few days later (and a few subsequent statements) to make sure promised fuel payments or excess charges are returned.
Terms and conditions
*Terms & Conditions
- Only available for rentals within Australia & New Zealand.
- Standard Rental Agreement conditions apply.
- Must present a valid RACQ membership card upon reservation & time of collection.
- ^15% off the best rate of the day is valid until 31 October 2017. Members must book through RACQ to obtain the 15% discount.
- ~Damage Waiver Premium Protection available at a discounted price of $22/day or Ultimate Protection at $28/day, both options discounted by $5/day, available in Australia only. Ultimate Protection is capped at 10 days per 30 day rental. New Zealand Protection Options include Total Protection Package & Accident Excess Reduction, both options discounted by $5/day. For more information on damage waiver products in Australia & New Zealand please speak to a consultant.
- **GPS unit hire available at a discounted daily price of $7.70 (Inc. GST) at selected locations in Australia only, usual daily rate is $11 and a capped rental price of $77.00 (Inc. GST) for a maximum of 30 days rental. Offers are subject to availability & cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion, special offer or coupon.
- Drivers must meet the standard age, driver's license and credit requirements of Thrifty. All rentals are subject to the terms and conditions of the rental agreement
With over 1200 partners, RACQ members can save everyday.
Also check out: