A passport for your car 

A carnet (pronounced car-nay) is a simple customs document that acts as a passport for your car when you take it overseas. 

How it works

Carnet contains a set of vouchers used by customs officers every time you pass in and out of a country. This allows the temporary importation of vehicles with a minimum of customs formalities for international drivers.

Where you’ll need a carnet

A Carnet is essential for the temporary importation of vehicles into African, Asian, Middle East and South American countries and New Zealand. A Carnet is not required for cars, campervans and motorcycles entering all countries in Europe or North America for touring purposes.

The Australian Automobile Association is a member of the AIT/FIA Carnet network. This network guarantees to customs authorities around the world payment of customs duties on motor vehicles temporarily imported for touring purposes.

How to get one 

Effective 1 January 2017, the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) will be processing all Carnets. Customers are to post applications to:

AAA - 02 6247 7311
GPO Box 1555 Canberra ACT 2601

Also check out: