Will you be driving while you’re overseas?

International Driving Permits If you are planning on driving, we recommend you get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you head off. IDP’s are a requirement for renting a motor vehicle in many countries and can be helpful for tourists who find themselves in need of identification or assistance.

With an IPD, tourists can:
  • drive internationally without further tests or applications, provided your domestic driver's licence is valid
  • prove that you hold a valid driver's licence in your home country at the date of issue of the IDP
  • drive in most foreign countries in case of an emergency (under normal IDP conditions).

Facts about IDPs


  • is not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence - you must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times
  • does not diminish your obligations to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit
  • is valid for 12 months from the date of issue or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever is the lesser period)
  • cannot be post-dated
  • may be reissued on the expiry of the old IDP (with a new photograph), but if you're resident overseas for more than 12 months you should apply for a local licence
  • can only be issued to drivers holding a current Australian state/territory driving licence (not an overseas driving licence)
  • can only be issued to people over 18 years of age (includes provisional licence or P plate)
  • cannot be issued to people who hold a learner driver permit
  • is a helpful form of identification, even if you don't intend driving when you travel overseas
  • is officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification
  • allows you to carry your identification details in nine languages (English, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Italian, German, Arabic, Swedish and French), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities
  • gives you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details (this can be useful if you are ever asked to surrender your passport, which can happen under certain circumstances in some countries).

Ready to get your IDP?

What you’ll need

To apply for an International Driving Permit, you’ll need:
  • two passport size coloured photographs of the applicant with the full name of the applicant printed on the reverse side, printed on photographic paper, showing your full face without any headwear or dark glasses obscuring your features and no more than 12 months old (photocopies or fax copies are not acceptable)
  • a current Australian drivers licence

Where to get your IDP

 Where  IDPs can be issued from selected RACQ Branches. 
Please note: RACQ Travel Head Office at Fortitude Valley and Zillmere RACQ Vehicle Inspection and Assessing Centre are unable to issue IDPs.

 Who RACQ can issue IDPs to both RACQ members and non-members
 Cost $39

Greater Brisbane area

  • Eight Mile Plains
  • Beenleigh
  • Brisbane City
  • Brookside
  • Browns Plains
  • Capalaba
  • Carindale
  • Chermside
  • Garden City
  • Ipswich
  • Inala
  • Indooroopilly
  • Morayfield
  • Redcliffe
  • Strathpine

Find branch

Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast

  • Caloundra
  • Gympie
  • Hervey Bay
  • Nambour
  • Noosa

  • Australia Fair
  • Elanora
  • Nerang
  • Runaway Bay
  • Robina
  • Southport

Find branch


  • Atherton
  • Bundaberg
  • Cairns
  • City Vehicle Townsville
  • Emerald
  • Gladstone
  • Innisfail
  • Maroochydore
  • Maryborough
  • Mackay
  • Proserpine
  • Rockhampton
  • Sharmar Cairns
  • Toowoomba
  • Townsville
  • Warwick

Find branch

We can help you with passport size photos too

 Where  Passport size photos (for use on IDPs) can be provided at the following RACQ Stores:
  • Brisbane (Brisbane CBD & Indooroopilly branches)
  • Gold Coast (Elanora, Nerang & Southport West branches)
  • Maroochydore branch
  • Toowoomba branch
  • Townsville branch
Use the RACQ Branch Finder for branch address and contact information.
 Who RACQ can provide passport size photos (for use on IDPs) to both RACQ members and non-members
 Cost Members: $9.95 (inc. GST)
Non-members: $12.95 (inc. GST)

Postal applications

To apply for your IDP by post, you will need to:
  1. Print out and fill in an IDP Application Form (PDF 275 KB).  
  2. Send your completed form, along with a clear copy of your current Australian driver's licence (both front and back), one passport size coloured photograph of yourself with your full name printed on the reverse side, printed on photographic paper, showing your full face without any headwear or dark glasses obscuring your features and no more than 12 months old (photocopies or fax copies are not acceptable), and the correct amount of money. Please note, cheques and money orders are not an acceptable form of payment for an IDP.
  3. Post your application to:

The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Ltd

International Driving Permits

2649 Logan Road

Eight Mile Plains

QLD 4113


The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Ltd

International Driving Permits

PO Box 4


QLD 4127

If you are applying for, or requesting the reissue of an IDP from overseas, RACQ also requires:
  • proof that you are not resident in the country from which you are making the application
  • proof of travel plans to other countries (e.g. travel agent itinerary), and
  • the date of your return to Australia.

Be mindful of fraudulent IDPs

The only authorised IDP issuing bodies in Australia are the state and territory motoring organisations. 
Counterfeit IDPs are being offered for sale online, usually at inflated prices. These forged IDPs are illegal, and if you’re caught driving overseas with one you could get into trouble with the traffic authorities in that country.

Members save on caravan and camping essentials...

Also check out: