Healthy snacks to make at home
Try your hand at these easy-to-make recipes.
Keen to experiment in the kitchen? Try these healthy recipes courtesy of the Dieticians Association of Australia.
A slice of delight (nut and seed slice)
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes| Serves: 18
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- Two weet bix
- 1/2 cup dried cranberry
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 pumpkin seeds (pepita)
- 1/2 cup almonds (roughly chopped)
- Two tbsp. chia seeds
- Two tbsp. sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C, and line an oven proof tray (20x30cm) with baking paper.
- Place butter and honey in a saucepan and melt over low heat.
- In a large bowl crush the weet bix then add all dry ingredients (except the dried cranberry and almonds).
- Add butter and honey mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Add cranberry and almonds (roughly chopped).
- Press mixture into baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Recipe courtesy of Katrina Yip, Accredited Practising Dietitian. For the national information of this recipe and for more recipes ideas, visit the Dietitians Association of Australia Smart Eating Recipe Collection.
Dip plate – beetroot dip
Prep time: 30 minutes | Serves: four
- 450g can baby beets, drained
- 1/2 cup creamed cottage cheese or natural yoghurt
- One tsp garam masala (optional)
- Two tbsp orange juice
- Juice of one lemon
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until smooth.
Recipe courtesy of Nutrition Australia, ACT. For the nutritional information of this recipe and for more recipe ideas, visit the Dietitians Association of Australia Smart Eating Recipe Collection.