Travelling overseas in 2024? You may need an International Driving Permit


Are you planning on driving a car or motorcycle overseas? Find out if you need an International Driving Permit (IDP) and how to apply online.

Driving in Northern Ireland.

If you’ll be driving in another country this year, it’s always a good idea to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you head off on your big adventure.

If you are unsure if you need an IDP before you travel, make sure to check the permit requirements of your destination. Some rental car companies will require you have an IDP before allowing you to hire a vehicle from them.

You can check the International Driving Permit Directory for guidance on whether or not you will require an IDP or it is recommended that you get one.

The Australian Automobile Association (AAA) can also provide other information such as if your destination country has a local automobile club and any reciprocal services for which you will be covered for while you hold an active automobile club membership.

What do I need to apply online?

RACQ is the authorised sales agent of IDPs in Queensland as appointed by the Australian Automobile Association (AAA).

If you are over the age of 18 and you hold an open or provisional Australian driver's licence, you can apply easily online by providing:

For more information head to

Related topics

Things to note

The information in this article has been prepared for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained in the document is general advice, not intended as legal advice or professional advice and does not take into account any person’s particular circumstances. Before acting on anything based on this advice you should consider its appropriateness to you, having regard to your objectives and needs.