Safety certificates are required if you want to sell a car that is registered in Queensland. 

  • Safety Certificates confirm that a vehicle meets minimum safety standards.
  • Sellers must obtain a Safety Certificate before the vehicle is advertised for sale, unless it is unregistered. (Fines apply)
  • Safety Certificates are not required to identify all defects, so vehicles can have a valid safety certificate but still have major mechanical issues.
  • Safety Certificates are not a substitute for a vehicle inspection.
  • Safety Certificates have a finite life. When buying, ensure the certificate is valid and has enough time left on it to complete the registration transfer.
  • Except in a few very specific circumstances, you cannot register a car or transfer registration without one.
  • A Safety Certificate is not required if you are trading or selling to a motor dealer.
  • It is the seller’s legal responsibility to provide the certificate and complete any repairs required to make the vehicle roadworthy.
  • You should never agree to get your own safety certificate as repair costs will then be your responsibility.
  • A seller is not required to provide a safety certificate for an unregistered vehicle, but we recommend that you request one.

Visit the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) > Safety Certificates for more information.

Certificate validity

  • Private sale - two months or 2,000km (whichever comes first) 
  • Dealers - three months or 1,000km (whichever comes first) 
  • For one transaction

Vehicles fitted with LPG

Any vehicle fitted with LPG (including caravans and campers) requires a gas certificate to ensure the equipment is safe.

A gas certificate is the resposibility of the seller and is required for a registration transfer or a new registration.

Suspect certificates

If you suspect the safety certificate is incorrect or failed to identify a problem, you need to take the following steps:

  • Seek advice about whether the fault should or could have been identified by the Safety Certificate inspection.
  • You need to be certain that the fault was present at the time of inspection and did not develop afterwards.
  • If you believe the fault was present at the time, act quickly and avoid driving the car.
  • Contact the person who issued the certificate as a first step.
  • If this does not resolve the issue, contact Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 90 to find a nearby Transport Inspector.
  • Do not repair the car until it has been inspected by a Transport Inspector. 

 If the issuer has erred they may be fined or prosecuted, but you will need to take your own legal action to recover any repair costs. In the meantime, it will be your responsibility to have the faults repaired if you wish to continu driving the vehicle.

We'd like to hear from you

Do you have questions or comments about the motoring advice and information provided on this page?

Email us your feedback now

Also check out: