What you need to know about driving overseas

Take advantage of RACQ’s worldwide reciprocal motoring services. We can help you get a passport for your car to cross international borders, and connect you with a worldwide network of affiliated motoring organisations and services.


Save time, effort and money – let us help you get your car overseas.

A passport for your car

A carnet (pronounced car-nay) is a simple customs document that acts as a passport for your car when you take it overseas.

How it works

Carnet contains a set of vouchers used by customs officers every time you pass in and out of a country. This allows the temporary importation of vehicles with a minimum of customs formalities for international drivers.

Where you’ll need a carnet

A Carnet is essential for the temporary importation of vehicles into African, Asian, Middle East and South American countries and New Zealand. A Carnet is not required for cars, campervans and motorcycles entering all countries in Europe or North America for touring purposes.

The Australian Automobile Association is a member of the AIT/FIA Carnet network. This network guarantees to customs authorities around the world payment of customs duties on motor vehicles temporarily imported for touring purposes.

How to get one

Effective 1 January 2017, the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) will be processing all Carnets. Customers are to post applications to:

AAA - 02 6247 7311
GPO Box 1555 Canberra ACT 2601

Overseas motor clubs

As an RACQ member, you gain access to RACQ’s vast network of reciprocal motoring clubs when you’re driving overseas; plus, global benefits and discounts.

Roadside assistance when driving overseas

Make the most of your RACQ membership and take advantage of our worldwide network of reciprocal roadside assistance services.

RACQ is a member of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA). FIA clubs provide a broad range of services to each other's members, when travelling abroad for up to three months. Mostly, these services are the same as those we provide to you now.

To use FIA services while overseas, carry your RACQ club membership card (this has the FIA logo on the back) and a current confirmation certificate. You’ll need to visit your local RACQ store or call 13 1905 for this.

Countries with FIA agreements

Many countries throughout the world provide reciprocal services, but not all.

View the International Driving Permit Directory to see which countries you’ll get roadside assistance and other reciprocal services in, plus information on how to contact these clubs.

Benefits and discounts when travelling

As an RACQ member, you also gain access to savings and benefits around the world.

You’ll join a global program with 115 million auto club members in more than 50 countries; and share access to a network of 150,000+ partners around the world.

When you travel, remember your RACQ membership card – which has the Show Your Card & Save symbol on the back – to take advantage of the many offers.

Show your card and save

Camping card international

If you are planning to stay in campsites when travelling overseas, and you are an RACQ member, you should consider getting a Camping Card International (CCI).

Planning an overseas camping adventure?

If you’re an RACQ member, you can protect yourself – with a Camping Card International (CCI).

A CCI provides protection against legal liability for bodily injury and/or property damage to third parties in camping grounds. Some camping grounds also offer a discount when a CCI is produced.

You can use your CCI as an identity document when camping, instead of an official document like a passport.

How to get a CCI

From 1 July 2019, Australian Automobile Association (AAA) will be handling applications and facilitating the issuing of International Camping Cards.

Visit www.aaa.asn.au for more information.

While you're here