Travel advice
Please carefully consider the recommendations on the Smart Traveller website before placing an order for an International Driving Permit (IDP). IDPs are personalised like a licence or passport and cannot be refunded. See AAA terms and conditions

Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, postage to international destinations may be delayed or may not be possible due to border closures. Before placing your order, please check the Australia Post website for the most up-to-date information on delays and border closures. 

What you need to know about driving overseas

If you’ll be driving in another country, it’s always a good idea to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you head off. An IDP lets you drive internationally without needing to sit any extra tests. Hiring a car overseas? Some countries require this permit before you can rent a car. Get into the driver’s seat and start your holiday the right way with an IDP.

  • Special permit lets you drive in most countries
  • No extra tests or examinations needed
  • Source of personal ID written in nine languages
  • Extra protection if you surrender your passport
  • Proof you hold a valid drivers’ licence in Australia
  • Accepted in over 150 countries

Check if you’ll need an IDP at your destination through the online international driving permit directory.

Get an International Driving Permit

You can get an IDP online, at your local RACQ branch or you can send your application to us via post. You’ll just need the following items:

  • current Australia drivers licence plastic photo card (digital licences are not accepted)
  • passport-size colour photograph (photo must be taken no more than 6 months before lodging application)
  • credit card details or payment in-store ($42*).

Check the application form for the ID requirements, photo specifications and the associated costs of your IDP. If you’re after the T&C’s, check out the Australian Automobile Association.

*Price subject to change without notice.

RACQ is an authorised issuer of IDPs. Other non-authorised IDPs may be counterfeit and illegal to use.
Women on tablet

Apply online

Complete our online application form and get your IDP posted to you.

Please note: Processing and postage times apply.

Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions postage to international destinations may be delayed or may not be possible due to border closures. Before placing your order, please check the Australia Post website for the most up to date information on delays and border closures here.

Family at RACQ store

Apply in branch

Apply in store at one of our RACQ stores. This is the quickest way to obtain an IDP.

Please note: IDP applications NOT available in RACQ Bank branches.

Important update: From 22 Jun 2020 your family or friends can no longer obtain an International Driving Permit on your behalf. If you cannot make it to a branch to apply for your International Driving Permit, please apply online or by post.

Man filling in forms

Apply by post

You can apply for your IDP by post. Just complete the IDP application form, gather copies of your identification and send through to:

The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Ltd
International Driving Permits
2649 Logan Road
Eight Mile Plains, QLD 4113

Things to note

Key facts about International Drivers Permits include:

  • They are not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence - you must carry your Australian state/territory licence photo card with your IDP at all times. (Note: digital drivers licences are not valid outside your home state or overseas).
  • They do not diminish your obligations to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.
  • Valid for 12 months from the date of issue or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever is the lesser period).
  • Cannot be post-dated.
  • May be reissued on the expiry of the old IDP, but if you're resident overseas for more than 12 months you should apply for a local licence.
  • Can only be issued to drivers holding a current Australian state/territory driving licence (not an overseas driving licence).
  • Can only be issued to people over 18 years of age (includes provisional licence or P plate).
  • Cannot be issued to people who hold a learner driver permit.
  • Is a helpful form of identification, even if you don't intend on driving when you travel overseas.
  • Is officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification.
  • Allows you to carry your identification details in nine languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, German and Japanese), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.
  • Gives you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details (this can be useful if you are ever asked to surrender your passport, which can happen under certain circumstances in some countries).