Are you driving overseas?
If you’ll be driving in another country it’s always a good idea to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) before you head off. An IDP lets you drive internationally without needing to sit any extra tests. Hiring a car overseas? Some countries require this permit before you can rent a car. Get into the driver’s seat and start your holiday the right way with an IDP.
- Special permit lets you drive in most countries.
- No extra tests or examinations needed.
- Source of personal ID written in nine languages.
- Extra protection if you surrender your passport.
- Proof you hold a valid drivers’ licence in Australia.
- Accepted in over 150 countries.
Check if you’ll need an IDP at your destination through the online international driving permit directory.
Get an IDP
You can get an IDP online, at your local RACQ branch or you can send your application to us via post. You’ll just need the following items:
- current Australian drivers licence
- passport-size colour photograph of the applicant (photo must be taken no more than 6 months before lodging application)
- credit card details or payment in-store ($42*).
Check the application form for the ID requirements, photo specifications and the associated costs of your IDP. If you’re after the T&C’s, check out the Australian Automobile Association.
*Price subject to change without notice.
Complete our online application form and get your IDP quicker and easier!
Apply in branch
Come and visit one of our friendly RACQ branches and apply for your IDP in-person (IDP applications NOT available in RACQ Bank branches).
If a friend or family member is applying on your behalf, you will need to download and complete an IDP application form and they will need to bring this and your forms of ID to the branch.
Find a branch
Apply by post
You can apply for your IDP by post. Just complete the IDP application form, gather copies of your identification and send through to:
The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Ltd
International Driving Permits
2649 Logan Road
Eight Mile Plains, QLD 4113
IDP application form
RACQ is an authorised issuer of IDPs. Other non-authorised IDPs may be counterfeit and illegal to use.
Key facts about International Drivers Permits include:
- They are not a stand-alone document or a substitute for a valid driving licence - you must carry your Australian state/territory licence with your IDP at all times.
- They do not diminish your obligations to conform to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit.
- Valid for 12 months from the date of issue or the expiry of your Australian licence (whichever is the lesser period).
- Cannot be post-dated.
- May be reissued on the expiry of the old IDP, but if you're resident overseas for more than 12 months you should apply for a local licence.
- Can only be issued to drivers holding a current Australian state/territory driving licence (not an overseas driving licence).
- Can only be issued to people over 18 years of age (includes provisional licence or P plate).
- Cannot be issued to people who hold a learner driver permit.
- Is a helpful form of identification, even if you don't intend on driving when you travel overseas.
- Is officially sanctioned by the United Nations and accepted worldwide (in over 150 countries) as a recognisable form of identification.
- Allows you to carry your identification details in nine languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Greek, German and Japanese), in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities.
- Gives you an extra form of photo ID along with your personal details (this can be useful if you are ever asked to surrender your passport, which can happen under certain circumstances in some countries).