When your loved ones live overseas or are travelling afar it’s a good idea to ensure that your Australian passport is kept up to date, just in case you need to book last minute emergency travel.
Emergencies tend to happen when you least expect it so, if you find yourself in the circumstance when you need to make emergency overseas travel and your passport is expired, here’s how to make an urgent application.
Instead of waiting three to six weeks for the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to process the passport, lodge an application for priority processing at a selected Australia Post location and ask for the Passport RAPID service
Processing passports last minute will cost you almost twice as much as regular processing, however, it means your passport will be ready for mailing or collection in just two business days.
Who can apply for priority processing?
- Priority processing is only available in Australia and London.
- You can’t get priority processing if you’re applying for a child without full parental consent.
- You can’t get priority processing if you have had two or more passports lost or stolen in the past five years.
- There must be a compassionate or compelling reason, such as the death or serious illness of an immediate family member or an unexpected need for urgent business travel.
How to get your passport renewed in less than two business days
- Call 131 232 to arrange a lodgement appointment at a passport office.
- Bring supporting documentation, such as a letter from the treating doctor or employer.
- Lodge your application for priority processing at a selected Australia Post location and ask for Passport RAPID service. Do this before midday on a business day (Monday – Friday).
- If you are overseas, contact your nearest Australian diplomatic or consular mission to discuss options.
Ready to plan your dream holiday? Contact the RACQ Travel team today for great deals on flights, accommodation, touring and more. Talk to us today on 1300 888 449.