How to protect your pets from seasonal dangers.
But the warmer weather brings seasonal hazards that could spell disaster for pets.
AWLQ rehoming partner Petstock vet Dr Alison Kemp shared her tips for a safe spring.
“Several of the most popular household plants and flower species can be toxic and even fatal to pets,” Dr Kemp said.
“Symptoms of plant or flower poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, depression or other abnormal behaviour, seizures, excessing drooling or weakness.
“if you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous plant or flower, please contact your vet immediately.”
There are many trendy, non-toxic options safe for cats and dogs including blue echeveria, donkey tail, calatheas, peperomia and ponytail palm.
The ASPCA has complied a comprehensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants and flowers.
“Allergies occur when a pet’s immune system indented something in the environment as threatening or dangerous,” Dr Kemp said.
“Common springtime allergens for pets include grass, weed and tree pollens, dust and mould.
“Most symptoms include red or irritated skin, bald or thinning patches of the fur, itchy and smelly ears, and excessive licking of an areas on their body.
“If your pet does suffer from seasonal allergies, ensure you don’t over-groom them and irritate their skin further and always use a gentle pet formulated shampoo.”
Ensure all cats and dogs in your household have been treated with the correct flea and tick protection before allowing them out in the yard,” Dr Kemp said.
“Consistency is key, so be sure you treat your pet now and continue monthly applications throughout the rest of the year.”
Take your pet to the vet immediately if you suspect it has a tick.
“Inquisitive dogs not keeping a safe distance may get bitten, so keep an eye on your buddy and monitor them for signs of a snake bite including lethargy, wobbliness, drooling and vomiting,” Dr Kemp said.
“If you suspect your pet has been bitten by a snake it’s essential to seek emergency hospital care immediately.”
“Just like humans, pets’ physical reactions will differ in severity when stung by a bee,” Dr Kemp said.
“If your pet has been stung and you’re unsure whether they are allergic or not, contact your local vet and describe your pet’s symptoms so they can make an accurate assessment.”
Pets with bee sting allergies should be closely monitored outdoors as bee or wasp stings can be fatal, particularly to small breeds.
“Although the sun may feel tame in spring, it’s important that pet owners carry pet sunscreen with them on their daily walks and apply it in the months leading up to summer to decrease their chances of obtaining a fatal skin disease.”
“When cleaning, ensure you are keeping all chemicals and cleaning products out of your pet’s reach, especially if you are using soap water in a bucket that is easily accessible to pets,” Dr Kemp said.
“If it’s a nice day, opening the windows while you’re cleaning will help prevent your pet from inhaling any harmful chemicals.”
Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested cleaning chemicals.
The information in this article has been prepared for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained in the document is general advice, not intended as legal advice or professional advice and does not take into account any person’s particular circumstances. Before acting on anything based on this advice you should consider its appropriateness to you, having regard to your objectives and needs.