Prepare your home for cyclone season

Your Place
Preparation vital for Queensland residents living in cyclone-prone regions.

Cyclone season, from November-April, can be a nervous time for residents of central and north Queensland.

On average, about four cyclones form off the east coast of Queensland each year, although not all will cross the coast.

Residents of parts of the state which can be affected by cyclones should took precautions to ensure their safety and give their homes the best chance of standing up to winds which can range from 125km/h (Category 1) to more than 280km/h (Category 5).

To help residents prepare their homes, the Queensland Building and Construction Commission recommends the following steps:

What should I do before cyclone season?

  • Trim trees, clear gutters and downpipes and clear the yard of rubbish.
  • Work safely to secure loose roof tiles or sheets or hire a qualified contractor to help you.
  • Protect sky lights with wire mesh and fit glass windows and doors with shutters or insect screens.
  • Prepare an emergency kit with emergency phone numbers, portable radio, torch, spare batteries, first-aid kit, strong plastic bags for clothing and valuables, as well as plastic sheets, timber strips, hammers and nails for temporary repairs.
  • Find more information about storms from Get Ready Queensland

What do I do if I have or think I have asbestos?

Asbestos-containing materials are dangerous when disturbed, like they may be during a disaster. Be aware that properties built before 1990 are likely to contain asbestos fibro sheeting. If you think there may be asbestos in your home, call your local council or Workplace Health and Safety Queensland on 1300 362 128.

A neighbour’s tree is overhanging my property and has the potential to fall or cause damage, what should I do?

You must contact the owner and request they remove it. If the tree is on council property inform the council. 

As a homeowner getting repair work done, does there need to be a contract in place? 

Yes. A contract is a legal requirement for all work valued over $3300. It is also strongly recommended to enter into a contract for work valued at less than $3300, but this is not a legal requirement.

Choose the right home insurance with RACQ

Related topics

Things to note

The information in this article has been prepared for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained in the document is general advice, not intended as legal advice or professional advice and does not take into account any person’s particular circumstances. Before acting on anything based on this advice you should consider its appropriateness to you, having regard to your objectives and needs.