Bruce Highway flooding cuts off Ingham

Residents in parts of North Queensland have been put on high alert as the town of Ingham was completely cut off by floodwater and faced the worst flooding event in nearly 10 years.

The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted the Herbert River would peak Friday morning further inundating low lying areas.

RACQ’s Lauren Ritchie said the Bruce Highway had been cut in both directions outside of Ingham and warned locals to avoid unnecessary travel on the roads.

“We’re seeing a number of local roads closed and we can’t be certain when they could reopen,” Ms Ritchie said.

“All State schools throughout the Herbert River region are closed today so we would urge families to avoid being on the road altogether.

 

 

“If you do need to travel to work or because you’ve been ordered to evacuate – slow down, put your headlights on and leave extra stopping distance between you and the car in front.

“Most importantly – never attempt to drive through floodwaters.”

Ms Ritchie said North Queensland residents should prepare for the worst.

“If you haven’t already done so now is the time to locate your emergency kit, talk to your family about your emergency plan should you need to evacuate and make plans for the safety of your pets. Also consider moving your valuables and vehicles to higher ground,” she said.

“Also please take a moment to check on your neighbours, particularly the elderly.”

Motorists in North Queensland needing to travel should check their path before leaving home with more than 100 roads closed across the State due to flooding.