RACQ pleads with drivers after horror weekend on roads
With four people killed just four hours apart in a spate of crashes in north Queensland at the weekend, RACQ has urged drivers to do their part to make our State’s roads safe.
Picture: Townsville Bulletin
Townsville Bulletin reported three people died at the scene of an horrific four vehicle crash on Bruce Highway at Mount Surround on Sunday, while another man was killed north of Townsville, also on the Bruce Highway, earlier that morning.
RACQ spokesperson Lauren Ritchie said the weekend’s road toll was a tragedy and unnecessary loss of life.
“These are people with families, friends and loved ones - not simply numbers on our road toll but to see so many die in such a short period of time is heart-breaking,” Ms Ritchie.
“We know around 90 percent of crashes are due to human error and the Fatal Five are the most common causes for deaths, so we’re urging all drivers to be up for the challenge of driving every time they get into the car.
“Buckle up, stick to the speed limit, don’t drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, be well-rested and don’t be distracted behind the wheel. We can’t afford to lose anyone else.”
As well as the Townsville crashes, a man near Cairns and a woman near Rockhampton were also killed in separate crashes on Sunday.
Ms Ritchie said the road toll sat at 173 people killed in this year alone.
“One life lost is hard to understand but when it is 173 it beggars belief how we can keep risking it all by breaking the basic road rules that are designed to keep us safe,” she said.
“Please, drive so others survive.”