Mercedes-Benz to offer five-year warranties in Australia
New structure to cover manufacturer’s full range of vehicles.
Warranties for Mercedes-Benz vehicles sold in Australia will be beefed up from next month.
New passenger cars, vans and utes sold from 1 April 2020 will be covered by a five-year manufacturer’s warranty, replacing the current three-year offering.
Mercedes-Benz CEO and Managing Director Horst von Sanden said in a statement the new five-year warranty reinforced the company’s commitment to ‘enhancing the customer ownership experience’.
“With a five-year manufacturer’s warranty across our entire cars and vans range supported by our existing capped price servicing and service plan portfolio, customers can have increased flexibility and certainty throughout their journey with Mercedes-Benz,” Mr von Sanden said.
Mercedes-Benz vans and utes will also step up from a standard three-year warranty to five years. Mercedes-Benz announced last month it would stop global production of its X-Class utes in May.
Mercedes-Benz Vans Australia Pacific Managing Director Diane Tarr said the new warranty structure would provide greater certainty for owners.
“We understand our commercial customers in particular are looking closely at whole-of-life costs, and that transparency in servicing and running costs is crucial,” Ms Tarr said.
“The new five-year manufacturer’s warranty further solidifies the value proposition in our compelling product line-up.”
Mercedes-Benz will backdate the implementation of the new warranty structure to include vehicles sold on or after 1 March 2020.
The supply of complimentary roadside assistance will be extended to five years for cars, vans and utes, whether the vehicle is used for private or commercial purposes.
- The new five-year warranty will cover the entire passenger car range including Mercedes-AMG models, the all-electric EQC and plug-in hybrid variants, all of which will receive a five-year/unlimited kilometre warranty when used solely for private purposes.
- Passenger cars used for commercial applications, such as taxis or ride-share vehicles will be covered by a five-year/200,000 km warranty.
- V-Class, X-Class and Marco Polo variants will be covered by a five-year/unlimited kilometre warranty, with five years of complimentary roadside assistance and a three-year/unlimited kilometre warranty for the 12-volt battery.
- Where the above variants are used in a commercial application, a five-year / 250,000 km warranty applies (three years/250,00km for 12-volt battery).
- Vito, Valente and Sprinter vans are classed as commercial vehicles, and receive a five-year/250,000 km warranty, five years’ roadside assistance and three-year/250,000 km coverage for 12-volt batteries.