An important part of motherhood is making sure your babies are fed well, happy and healthy. And I’m not just talking about two-legged babies – my baby is a one-year-old beagle, named Wilson.
Like all fur-mamas, alarm bells go off when your fur-baby rejects a meal, especially when you own a beagle. For them, food is life. So, I thought I would try something different and make some summer treats from Kim McCosker’s new Pet Cookbook.
The cookbook features more than 60 pet-friendly recipes, tips and care ideas for dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish and chickens. All the recipes have no added sugar and show allergen keys to avoid food tolerances including eggs, soy, wheat, nuts and lactose.
The book is filled with amazing pet photography and a range of interesting pet facts, quotes and eulogies.
As we are in the middle of heatwave, I couldn’t resist making some watermelon pupsicles for Wilson. I blended some watermelon and coconut milk together, poured the mixture into an ice tray and then left it in the freezer overnight.
After our morning walk I surprised him with one and he loved it. He’s probably still licking the floor! It was really satisfying to give him a healthy treat.If you’re a fur-mama (or papa) who is interested in trying these recipes, check out Kim McCosker’s Pet Cookbook.Happy cooking!
Watermelon pupsicles recipe
- 1kg watermelon
- 270g can coconut milk
- Scoop out the melon, discard seeds and rind.
- Blend together with the coconut milk (add more melon if you prefer a darker pink)
- Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze for at least four hours
Peanut butter pup treats
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 ̊C.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, bananas, peanut butter and coconut oil.
- Add an additional 2 tablespoons oats, or until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough three to four times until it comes together.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough 1cm thick.
- Then with cookie cutters, cut the desired shapes and place onto the prepared tray. Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool completely