Deadly lily danger


Vet warns cat owners to check for toxic blooms.

Lilies are toxic to cats
The Cat Protection Society of Victoria (CPSV) has issued a warning to cat owners about the deadly consequences of having lilies (Lilium spp and Hemerocallis spp) in the home.

CPSV Senior Veterinarian Peta Keown ingesting the pollen of a lily could lead to kidney failure or death in cats.

“Many pet owners aren't aware of how dangerous certain lilies are to cats and with many of us in lockdown, flowers such as ornamental lilies are being sent as gifts or purchased for display in the home,” Dr Keown said.

“Even if a cat eats a couple of leaves or rubs the pollen on their body then licks it off, they can suffer acute kidney failure within a very short period of time.”

If your cat has had access to a lily plant take them to your nearest vet immediately.

The key to successful treatment is early recognition of possible ingestion and veterinary management of the ensuing kidney failure. Ingesting any part of the plant can cause complete kidney failure within 36 hours.

Signs of lily toxicity include:

  • Vomiting
  • Lack of appetite
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Depression
  • No urination
  • Increased thirst

Other common houseplants and flowers including desert rose, gladiola, philodendron, monstera, fiddle leaf fig and ZZ plants could be toxic to pets.

The ASPCA has complied a comprehensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants and flowers.

Related topics

Things to note

The information in this article has been prepared for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained in the document is general advice, not intended as legal advice or professional advice and does not take into account any person’s particular circumstances. Before acting on anything based on this advice you should consider its appropriateness to you, having regard to your objectives and needs.