Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Craig Crawford said house fires had become an increasingly common occurrence in south-east Queensland.
“Last year, firefighters attended about 520 house fires in winter,” Mr Crawford said.
“The south-east accounted for nearly two-thirds of this figure, with more than 300 house fires attended by firefighters in three months.”
Member for Lytton Joan Pease said families should pay close attention to heating devices, particularly if they have not been used in some time.
“Over the past five years, heating devices have been responsible for almost 200 house fires in winter,” Ms Pease said.
“If you are using a heater or electric blanket, check the appliance for fraying, exposed cords or other damage and, if it is faulty, replace or repair the item.”
Queenslanders can book a free Safehome visit to identify any fire and safety hazards around their home.
Further information on heating your home safely can be found on the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services website.
The information in this article has been prepared for general information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice or specific advice to any particular person. Any advice contained in the document is general advice, not intended as legal advice or professional advice and does not take into account any person’s particular circumstances. Before acting on anything based on this advice you should consider its appropriateness to you, having regard to your objectives and needs.