The top RV movies
We reveal the most popular RV movies of all time.
Travelling around the countryside in a RV has become a way of life for some.
The thrill of the open road and the ability to set up camp in a different spot every night has quite the appeal, and it seems Hollywood thinks so too, with a plethora of films on the subject.
Check out these classic RV movies before or during your next RV adventure.
In this family friendly comedy, white-collar workaholic Bob Munro (Robin Williams) convinces his family to forgo their Hawaiian vacation for a cross-country family bonding road trip in a decked-out RV. It soon becomes obvious that the Munro family might not be as equipped for an RV adventure as they first thought.
- Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
- Rating: PG
- Stars: Robin Williams, Jeff Daniels, Josh Hutchinson, Cheryl Hines and Joanna ‘JoJo’ Levesque.
- Rotten Tomatoes verdict: 23% critics – 45% audience.
We’re the Millers (2013)
David Burke (Jason Sudeikis) is a small-time pot dealer who is forced by his supplier to drive an RV loaded with drugs from Mexico back into the United States to pay off a debt. In order to avoid suspicion, David recruits his neighbour Rose (Jennifer Anniston) and two street kids (Emma Roberts and Will Poulter) to pose as his family.
- Director: Rawson Marshall Thurber
- Rating: MA 15+
- Stars: Jennifer Anniston, Jason Sudeikis, Emma Roberts, Will Poulter and Ed Helms.
- Rotten Tomatoes verdict: 48% critics – 72% audience.
In this military comedy, John Winger (Bill Murray) decides to join the army after losing his job, apartment, car and girlfriend. After graduating basic training, John and his rag-tag platoon are sent to work on a secret EM-50 project in Italy. The EM-50 is an armoured military vehicle disguised as an RV. Fed up with the boring assignment, John takes the EM-50 out to impress a new love interest and it is stolen. Now John must get it back on base before his superiors realise.
- Director: Ivan Reitman.
- Rating: M
- Starring: Bill Murray, John Candy, Harold Ramis, Warren Oates and Sean Young.
- Rotten Tomatoes verdict: 86% critics – 79% audience.
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
The third in the National Lampoon series sees the Griswold family navigate the holiday from hell with their in-laws. While not entirely about RVs, who could forget Uncle Eddie and family rolling up to the Griswold house in a dilapidated RV. If you’re a big fan of the film, make sure to check out Castle Noel in Medina, Ohio, a year-round Christmas Movie museum which features the iconic RV.
- Director: Jeremiah Chechik.
- Rating: M
- Stars: Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, Randy Quaid, Juliette Lewis and Johnny Galecki.
- Rotten Tomatoes verdict: 65% critics – 86% audience.
In this road trip comedy, sci-fi geeks Graeme and Clive (Simon Pegg and Nick Frost) hire an RV to travel across America’s UFO heartland. While travelling across Area 51, the duo run into an alien named Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) who joins them on their RV adventures. Hunted by federal agents, Graeme and Clive hatch a plan to help Paul return to his home planet.
- Director: Greg Mottola.
- Rating: MA 15+
- Stars: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen, Kristen Wiig, Jason Bateman and Bill Hader.
- Rotten Tomatoes verdict: 71% critics – 62% audience.