Wholesome lentil curry recipe
Keep warm this winter with this lentil curry recipe.
Keen to try something new in the kitchen? Try this wholesome lentil curry recipe courtesy of the Dieticians Association of Australia.
Wholesome lentil curry
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Serves: 4
- Two tsp extra virgin olive oil
- One medium brown onion, chopped
- Two garlic cloves, chopped
- 500g frozen stir fry vegetable mix
- Two medium carrots, sliced
- Two medium zucchinis, sliced
- Two tbsp curry paste of your choice (red/green/yellow)
- 1/4 cup water
- One can (400g) light coconut milk
- One can (400g) lentils, rinsed and drained
- One tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder (or to liking)
- 16 whole raw almonds, to serve
- Heat oil in pan over high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until they soften.
- Add frozen veg mix with the carrots and zucchini and stir for about three to five minutes or until the vegetables have defrosted and softened.
- Add the curry paste along with the coconut milk and water, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the lentils to the pan and mix well. Let the mixture simmer for two minutes.
- Add the salt, herbs and spices and mix thoroughly. Let simmer for a further five minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add 1/4 cup water and mix.
- Sprinkle almonds over the mixture and mix well.
- Serve with rice noodles, soba noodles, or basmati rice.
Recipe courtesy of Joyce Haddad, accredited practising dietitian. For the nutritional information of this recipe and for more recipe ideas, visit the Dietitians Association of Australia Smart Eating Recipe Collection.
Other recipes to try:
- Healthy snacks to make at home
- Cob loaf recipes
- Healthy banana bread recipe
- A guide to Indian curries
- Healthy Mediterranean chicken
- Vegie fiesta tofu stir-fry recipe