- Keep your battery charged
- Learn how to charge a car battery. You can use a special charger to keep your battery fully charged. Charged batteries keep the internal chemical balance in-check, reducing battery wear.
- Keep electrolyte levels topped up
- If you have a maintenance-free battery there’s no need to check fluid levels. Low-maintenance batteries need their levels checked regularly, regardless of the battery type.
- Refit battery heat shields
- Battery shields protect your battery from heat. Excessive heat leads to overheating and swelling.
- Turn off all lights before you leave the car
- Clean battery terminals and remove any build-up from the outside.
- Inspect your battery for any leaks, bulging or cracks
If you’ve got any obvious wear, it’s time to get a new battery.