What you need to know about weather damage claims

As fellow Queenslanders, we understand how much of an impact storm or flood damage can have on you and your families. That’s why we’re here to help when you need it most.

Is your home or property damaged?

  • In an emergency call 000 for Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade.
  • If powerlines are down, call Energex on 13 19 62 or for support during a flood or storm call SES on 132 500.

2022 Flood response

If you’ve been impacted, we’re here to help. You can stay up to date on how we’re supporting our members and communities here.

Find out more

How to make your RACQ Home Insurance claim

  • icon-step-1
    Keep safe

    Are you experiencing an emergency or is someone hurt? Call 000 first.

    If your boat has been involved in an accident on the water you should file a Marine Incident Report with Maritime Safety Queensland within 48 hours.

  • icon-step-2
    Check your insurance policy

    Storms, flood, hail and cyclones can cause a lot of damage very quickly, and rebuilding your home can be hard.

    At RACQ it’s easy to claim on your Insurance policy.

    Make sure you have the required information to lodge your claim as quickly as possible.

    Only RACQ staff can lodge and process your claim so be wary of any door knockers not able to show formal RACQ accreditation

  • icon-step-3
    Lodge your claim

    1. Save time and make a claim online

    The quickest way to lodge your RACQ Insurance claim is with our online form anytime.

    Make a weather motor claim

    Make a weather home claim

    If you’re unable to use our online form, call us or visit us in-branch and we’ll help you as much as we can from there.

    2. Phone

    Call us on 13 7202 and we'll lodge your insurance claim over the phone.

    3. In store

    Visit your local RACQ store.

After the storm

Read our important information on safety preparations, starting the clean up and vehicle tips to help you recover after a weather event has passed.

Is my home and/or contents covered for storm and hail damage?

Under your RACQ Home and/or Contents Insurance policy, we cover your home and contents for loss or damage caused by an incident that happens during the period of insurance if your home or contents are damaged by a storm, hail or flood.

For policies with an effective date on or after 29th March 2021, our PDS defines storm as 'Strong winds that may also involve heavy rain, hail, or snow. For example, a cyclone.'

Please read your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), any applicable Supplementary PDS, Key Facts Sheet and Target Market Determinations and log into your My RACQ to view your Certificate of Insurance. These documents will tell you what events and damages you are covered for, your insured amounts, any limits, conditions and excesses that apply.

Every circumstance can have its own set of unique characteristics or degrees of damage so it is important that you lodge your claim as soon as possible so that we can start the assessment process.

If you have any questions about what you can claim for, call us to discuss your cover on 13 7202.

Don't let disaster strike twice

RACQ has issued an urgent warning to members in south east Queensland impacted by recent weather to be on alert and not become victims of 'disaster chasers'. We have been receiving reports of individuals or groups preying on those who have been affected by recent weather events.

These disaster chasers target homeowners and may offer immediate repairs or inspections in exchange for cash or for you signing a contract of work. They may mislead you to believe they work for RACQ or will promise we will reimburse the costs. However, if they’re unlicenced, unqualified or perform unapproved work this may not happen and you could be out of pocket thousands of dollars. Only RACQ staff can lodge and process your claim so be wary of any door knockers not able to show formal RACQ accreditation.

We’ve also had reports of tow truck operators approaching homes where severely damaged cars are visible and offering to tow them for repairs. If you lodge a motor insurance claim with RACQ we will tell you who is coming to collect your vehicle and when and update you if this changes. Never give your car, keys or cash to any tow truck driver who unexpectedly shows up at your door.

If you believe you may have been the victim of a disaster chaser contact us, or the Insurance Council of Australia as soon as possible.

Things to note

Insurance products (excluding Travel Insurance) are issued by RACQ Insurance Limited ABN 50 009 704 152 (RACQ). Conditions, limits and exclusions apply. This is general advice only and may not be right for you. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Read the PDS and any applicable Supplementary PDS before making a purchase decision on this product. You can also access our Target Market Determinations on this website.