As fellow Queenslanders, we understand how much of an impact storm or flood damage can have on you and your families. That’s why we’re here to help when you need it most.

Is your home or property damaged?

  • In an emergency call 000 for Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade.
  • If powerlines are down, call Energex on 13 19 62 or for support during a flood or storm call SES on 132 500.
  • Find out how to make a claim on your RACQ Insurance policy or call 13 7202 to speak to our friendly team seven days a week.

After the storm

Read our important information on safety preparations, starting the clean up and vehicle tips to help you recover after a weather event has passed.

Is my home and/or contents covered for storm and hail damage?

Under your RACQ Home and/or Contents Insurance policy, we cover your home and contents for loss or damage caused by an incident that happens during the period of insurance if your home or contents are damaged by a storm, hail or flood.

For policies with an effective date on or after 29th March 2021, our PDS defines storm as 'Strong winds that may also involve heavy rain, hail, or snow. For example, a cyclone.'

Please read your Product Disclosure Statement, any applicable Supplementary PDS and relevant Key Facts Sheet and log into your My RACQ profile to view your Certificate of Insurance. These documents will tell you what events and damages you are covered for, your insured amounts, any limits, conditions and excesses that apply.

Every circumstance can have its own set of unique characteristics or degrees of damage so it is important that you lodge your claim as soon as possible so that we can start the assessment process.

If you have any questions about what you can claim for, call us to discuss your cover on 13 7202.